• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Built metric ton rear axle. (feeler)

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm seriously considering selling me rear axle out of my xj. It's got 4.56 gears and an ARB locker. The ring and pinion as well as axle shafts have been chryo treated. And if anyone has seen me drive this axle will hold up great. I tear it apart twice a year to inspect it for issues and it has none. I can install the disk brakes I've got for it if you'd like. Thinking 1300.00 I think that's fair for a well built strong bolt in axle for an xj.

Opinions?? Am I high in the night on price?

Thanks.

What axle is it? What's the WMS? Set up for springs or linked?

Price seems fair but it may take a while to actually move. I paid $900 for an 8.8 with 4.56s, cromo shafts & ARB (and disc brakes, obviously). I would have paid $1300 for a stock-width one-ton axle...

But sometimes, for whatever reason, axles sit for a while. Also, the gearing is off for a typical XJ application. Most guys looking at that axle will have 37s or bigger with a 4.0L and therefore want deeper gears (I'm running 37s with 5.13s).

Guess I could have been more specific. This axle came out of an 86 MJ, so it's stock mj/xj width. It's setup for spring over and completely bolt in to an XJ as in no mods are needed to install. It's basically a strong CJ model 20. One piecs shafts instead of 2 piece. It's got a bigger R&P than a 44 and an 8.8. I only went 4.56 gears because when I built this axle my jeep still was a daily driver. 4.56 gears were a great all around gear, worked great for highway and was good for off-road, I used the tcase to lower gears from there. It is a rare but extremely strong axle. I have had zero problems with it in the 12yrs I've been running it, and I'm not easy on the XJ :)

I ran a MJ MetricTonne Model 20 under my 89 XJ for several years and never had an issue with it. IIRC, it now lives under Dave Williams XJ. Beefy.

FWIW, weeks after the fact, XJ and MJ axles do NOT have the same spring mount width, they need to be cut off and rewelded to be used cross platform.

Good point. This axle has already been setup for an xj and ran in one for the last 10yrs or so.

Now that being said this axle is FOR SURE going up for sale.

So make me an offer thats reasonable.

Back