• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building an offroad teardrop

also, look into hubs that you can put jeep-compatible rims and tires on, so you have more spares. maybe even use xj dana 44's, so if ya break somethin, you have a parts rig right behind ya! you can always lock up the trailer, and come back for it once you get the jeep squared away.

Pictures???

Ill take some pics once I start to tear into it. It is an older grasshopper teardrop that needs some TLC. Me and my girlie are going to completely rip out the interior and redo, paint up the out side, and figure out a way to fit some 33s on it. :D

I want to get it into the my shop sunday to start tearing into it so if I do ill post pics.

I just scored a 2000# drop axle with brakes, rims, and tires for $60. The guy still has one left. He even has the springs if you want to go the leaf route. He is in Ft. Lupton. If anybody is interested I will get you the info.

I am going to invert the drop axle for more clearance. Don't have the width yet but it is square tubing and can easily be adjusted. It is has 5 lug hubs that look like 5x5.5, the same as an XJ. My only problem is that my rig now has 5x5.5's :cry:

970-690-6270 my cell

Hey everybody,

I am finally starting to build the trailer this week! I still have some things that I need to consider though and wondered if any of you could help. Keep in mind, I am a tent camper and I have never camped in an RV.

1. I am building a 5x10 modified Benroy style and I want to come in under 1200lbs empty . Is this doable?
2. I am still trying to decide if I need two doors or just a door on the curbside. Any comments on this?

3. 110 and 12v or just 12v with a 110 charger built in. I don’t ever see myself at an RV campground unless I am there for a teardrop event or something. Most of what I will be doing is backcountry camping.
4. I am putting in a water tank (at least 14 gallons). I planned on using a bucket that I could empty instead of using a gray water tank. I know I can’t dump it just anywhere and that it’s not good to dump it or near streams and such. To me there is no difference because I wouldn’t be able to dump the gray tank just anywhere either. I just plan on using the water for cooking, cleaning and washing.
5. As for the water pump to the faucet. 12v or hand pump?
6. As I will be 5x10 and I wanted to use an RV specific, white ceiling panel for the ceiling, I was wondering if anyone knows if it comes in 5’ widths.
7. Are multi-piece sides ok if I build them properly or should I locate some 5x10 paneling. I am not going to skin it with aluminum. I will be filling it and using epoxy paint.
8. I am going to insulate the walls so I will have three layers. Thinking of aftermarket doors but if I decide to build my own, should I just build the doors the same as the walls?

9. I have been looking for stabilizers for the frame and I can’t decide whether I want one on each corner or since I will have a jack on the tongue, will I only need two on the back corners?
Also, I can’t decide whether I want the screw type or the adjustable ones that drop down. I assume with those, you need to jack the trailer up in some cases to get it level????
I will post pics up when I get the basic frame welded this week.
Thanks everyone!
Scott

Man, Do I want a Teardrop! :(

1. I am building a 5x10 modified Benroy style and I want to come in under 1200lbs empty . Is this doable?
It is doable but you have to watch everything. Many people do a 2x2 frame. My frame is going to be 1x2 fairly thin wall. Most of the weight is in the body which rests on the sides of the frame where the attachment points are.
The frame of the teardrop will most likely be .5" or .75" square steel tube. The outside of my camper will most likely be .25" alumalite

2. I am still trying to decide if I need two doors or just a door on the curbside. Any comments on this?
I've had multiple camping trailers in the past and never needed/wanted a second door.

3. 110 and 12v or just 12v with a 110 charger built in. I don’t ever see myself at an RV campground unless I am there for a teardrop event or something. Most of what I will be doing is backcountry camping.
I plan to use the dual mode light fixtures that will work on either 12v or 110. I plan to also wire outlets, especially in the galley, even though I will have a 12v microwave and blender.

I'm putting in a water tank (at least 14 gallons). I planned on using a bucket that I could empty instead of using a gray water tank. I know I can’t dump it just anywhere and that it’s not good to dump it or near streams and such. To me there is no difference because I wouldn’t be able to dump the gray tank just anywhere either. I just plan on using the water for cooking, cleaning and washing.
There are tons of nice grey water tanks with wheels and garden hose fittings pretty cheap.

5. As for the water pump to the faucet. 12v or hand pump?
I prefer the dual mode faucet where you can hook up to water or it has a built in 12v pump to handle pulling from your storage tank. Again, these are really common and pretty cheap. Trying to pump while you was your hands is a pain.

6. As I will be 5x10 and I wanted to use an RV specific, white ceiling panel for the ceiling, I was wondering if anyone knows if it comes in 5’ widths.
I'm looking for interior finish sources

7. Are multi-piece sides ok if I build them properly or should I locate some 5x10 paneling. I am not going to skin it with aluminum. I will be filling it and using epoxy paint.
I have a source for some really good epoxy paint

8. I am going to insulate the walls so I will have three layers. Thinking of aftermarket doors but if I decide to build my own, should I just build the doors the same as the walls?
I'm most likely going to purchase a prefab door. Depending on your construction material and such you need to worry about condensation in the walls. Make sure and do a vapor barrier. The frame on mine is going to be steel coated with POR-15 and the skin will be alumalite.

9. I have been looking for stabilizers for the frame and I can’t decide whether I want one on each corner or since I will have a jack on the tongue, will I only need two on the back corners?
Also, I can’t decide whether I want the screw type or the adjustable ones that drop down. I assume with those, you need to jack the trailer up in some cases to get it level????
I like the fold down stabilizer legs like on the Coleman tent trailers. You can adjust the length on them. I plan to put one on each of the rear corners. You drop the tongue and set them, then lift the tongue to take the weight of the camper.

Hey Flingshot,
I don't know if you have ever been to www.mikenchell.com/forum, but it's a teardrop building/camping forum with tons of Jeepsters as members- I for one have build my own. They have a section about trailer toungweight, Calicating a formula for it too! All kinds of great info plus an offroad section dedicated to o/r t/d's. I have a 2000 xj. Also, they have a link at the top of the page to Tearjerker.org, a great group of campers and lot more of info on gatherings thru-out the country.
Til later by the fire--John T.

Hey Flingshot,
I don't know if you have ever been to www.mikenchell.com/forum, but it's a teardrop building/camping forum with tons of Jeepsters as members- I for one have build my own. They have a section about trailer toungweight, Calicating a formula for it too! All kinds of great info plus an offroad section dedicated to o/r t/d's. I have a 2000 xj. Also, they have a link at the top of the page to Tearjerker.org, a great group of campers and lot more of info on gatherings thru-out the country.

Link no worky. :dunno:

This one does though: http://www.mikenchell.com/

Hey Flingshot,

Yep, spent a ton of time on that site as well as a few others. I will be posting some pics next week with what I did over the weekend.
My goal is to be done with the trailer by March 2010. We'll see.
Thanks!
Scott

Well March of 2010 has come and gone and I am embarrassed to say no trailer has emerged from the garage. The problem isn't motivation or even money.
I simply cannot decide what I want.
I have built and sold 2 frames and one axle setup.
I think I have it figured out now and I have a ton of parts stacked up in the shed.
Maybe I can get something done soon.

Back