• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brakes problem

Bob Lester

NAXJA Forum User
This is something new, that I have never encountered.
After putting in Dana 44, I had to bleed the brakes. So I go to the master cylinder take the top off, the rubber casket was completely wrinkle and out of form. So I replace this casket, and bleed the brakes.
The brakes are not stopping the jeep. :smsoap.
So I drive the Jeep thinking that the new rotors and drums need to be broken in. This does not happen. So bleed the brakes. I get to the back brakes and their is no fluid coming out of the wheel cylinders. I take off the proportioning valve, and the seals and caskets are swelled and deformed. :bawl: :confused: somehow I guess the brake fluid got contaminated. I don't know how this happened :confused:
So I had to replace master cylinder the booster and the valve. Still waiting on the valve this is a dealer item.
I am just wondering this happened to anyone else.
Thanks for that me rant.

Somebody may have put ATF in rather than brake fluid. It happened to a friend many years ago with a classic 2-seater AMX. Of course, the last 2-seater was built in 1970 and no other AMC vehicle used the rear proportioning valve that was used on the AMX. His prop valve was toast. Had to replace both calipers, both rear wheel cylinders, master cylinder ... and then we had to compensate for the non-replaceable proportioning valve by using smaller diameter rear wheel cylinders.

ATF makes the rubber parts in brake systems swell up.

I think you hit it on the money. I just don't know how it got in their. This so far as cost me a fortune as you would know. :flamemad: The valve should be in Tuesday or Wednesday cutting-edge close, for my departure too nac-fest.
Also I am taking a trailer load of tools, Welder, generator and so on.
See you their :cheers:

Eagle said:
Somebody may have put ATF in rather than brake fluid. It happened to a friend many years ago with a classic 2-seater AMX. Of course, the last 2-seater was built in 1970 and no other AMC vehicle used the rear proportioning valve that was used on the AMX. His prop valve was toast. Had to replace both calipers, both rear wheel cylinders, master cylinder ... and then we had to compensate for the non-replaceable proportioning valve by using smaller diameter rear wheel cylinders.

ATF makes the rubber parts in brake systems swell up.

Or "hydraulic fluid."

Back