• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought a '93 F250 diesel to fix and flip....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Being that I'm not a Ford guy, this is some unfamiliar territory. I could use some info from you Blue Oval guys......

I snatched up what seems to be a really good deal on a mild wreck. '93 F250 with the 7.3 non-turbo diesel. 4sp, 4x4, extra cab, long bed. Lots of power options, gooseneck ball hitch in the bed, huge rubber cushioned receiver hitch under the bumper (seems to pivot side to side as well)? Factory dual tanks. 197K on the drivetrain.

Previous owner bought it Sept. last year, put 7K miles on it when the drivers side front hub assy came loose and the wheel walked off and under the driver's door/rocker causing some push-up damage. This was after parking a gooseneck trailer - he was pulling away and the wheel rolled up under - not while driving on the road so no ground down inner "C" or ball joint. Nothing too bad though - needs a fender and a door, the rocker could be hammered down easily enough. It's mildly rusty - came from Ohio originally, but not too bad. Otherwise, the body and paint are really pretty nice. He said he'd bought it to replace one of his many trucks for his rodeo entertainment business - but when this broke, he fixed the truck that he was going to replace - never got around to this one and is now moving the business, needed to get rid of it that day. (and therefore, took my rediculously low offer....:D)

So, with all that said, it also seemed amazing that the truck sat for 8 months never having been started. When I looked at it, I figured the batteries to be dead - but it fired right up! Not so much as a second's worth of crank over - just a crank and it was running. Smoked for a while, but seemed to diminish after about 10 minutes of idling.

Prev. owner said he replaced the glow plugs 2 months after buying it - weeks before the wheel came off. Oil in the engine is full, but gooey black - typical I suppose, but at least it was at the full mark. Fuel and oil filters look very recent. Coolant is full and green. No leak spots under it at all, pan and trans look pretty clean considering. Not a lot of blow-by on the engine from the usual spots, but not clean either. Prev. owner said the clutch probably is only a few years old.

Questions:

What kinds of issues has this generation of Ford truck/diesel had that I should look into?

It has auto hubs on the front. Should I keep them, or if I find a donor truck with them, get the manual hubs? What kind of hub nut socket will I need to re-assemble this axle?

The engine belt seemed way too easy to pull on by hand to move the spring tensioner - is this normal or is the tensioner bad?

Does this truck have an internal or external clutch slave? Owner said he'd been having to add fluid occasionally.

Tach doesn't work, it "bumps" when you turn the key on, but doesn't do anything else. Ideas?

Are these trucks a problem with diesel emissions required states? I'd been told these trucks do smoke noticibly more than most other diesels.

Any other info for me to consider would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

(Goatman: Got your input before the HD crash - Thanks!)

P1011149.jpg

P1011151.jpg

P1011150.jpg

P1011152.jpg

P1011153.jpg

P1011154.jpg

P1011157.jpg

Last edited:
www.thedieselstop.com is a wealth of information about these trucks. Here's some pointers.

The non-turbo 7.3 is really strong in the durability department, but is lacking in power. Try to find an ATS system or a factory IDI (pre Powerstroke) turbo system to swap onto it. No overdrive sucks too for fuel mileage.

Those old bodystyle Fords are really strong in most areas, but the TTB front axle leaves a little to be desired. That said, parts are cheap with the exception of hubs (they are the same as the D60) and plentiful.

The hub socket for the Dana 50 TTB is the same as the one for the D60 IIRC. I would replace the autolockers with manuals.

The smoke issue should be less of a problem once you get the truck on the road and driving to clean out the combustion chambers. An oil change before you take it in wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck with it,
Joe

Why not? That is a Ford in its natural state. :)

JeepFreak21 said:
Please tell me that truck is not sitting on a cinder block!
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Please tell me that truck is not sitting on a cinder block!
Billy

Um, yeah. It's sitting on a cinder block...... So? :dunno:

YELLAHEEP said:

It should be fine but don't accelerate or brake too hard until you get a wheel back on there, it could come off the cinder block! Also, remember it's not going to steer too well.

YELLAHEEP said:

sad.gif
Well, I guess as long as you're not climbing under it, and you have no kids nearby, or animals...

A block of wood would be much safer. And I think the cinder block would actually be stronger on it's side (the holes facing up and down).

SeanP gave my wife the nickname OSHA... I guess it's rubbed off a little :D

Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
sad.gif
Well, I guess as long as you're not climbing under it, and you have no kids nearby, or animals...

A block of wood would be much safer. And I think the cinder block would actually be stronger on it's side (the holes facing up and down).

Billy

Thanks for your concern Billy..... :thumbup: This is to simply keep it sitting somewhat level until I can fix it - I don't want the frame tweaked from sitting twisted too long.

I have a few years experience with working on vehicles enough to know a cinder block is not acceptable when working on the rig - it's just a temporary thing while it sits. I had a '91 S10 try to kill me as I was trying to put a jack stand under it.... there's inherant risks to our hobby in all aspects!

So, can we get on with my thread now dad? :D :D :D

lots of those trucks running around in my neck of the woods, they pretty much all rust in the same spots.

7.3's are bulletproof.

the weird hitch you have under the bumper is a farm hitch. A common item here in OH. Used to cushion the loads from big grain trailers when you haul them through the fields. There *should* be a lockout pin so you can lock the tongue in place when you use it on the street.

I wish I could have found that thing for a steal.

A farm hitch huh? Cool! I'd never seen one before, but it does appear to have a lock pin, and a lever below - maybe to allow it to move a bit right and left?

Thanks for the info! This truck came from Ohio originally, so yeah, it's a little rusty.

YELLAHEEP said:
A farm hitch huh? Cool! I'd never seen one before, but it does appear to have a lock pin, and a lever below - maybe to allow it to move a bit right and left?

Thanks for the info! This truck came from Ohio originally, so yeah, it's a little rusty.
yeah, it should move side to side about 8 inches or so, and move in and out a few as well.
I see most of those around here with rusted out rear fenders, rust on the front fenders at the rockers like you've got, and bed mounts that are trashed. The cab mounts seem to hold up though.

87manche said:
the weird hitch you have under the bumper is a farm hitch. A common item here in OH. Used to cushion the loads from big grain trailers when you haul them through the fields. There *should* be a lockout pin so you can lock the tongue in place when you use it on the street.

Does the hitch have any springs on it? If it doesn't it's not a cushion hitch. That one looks like it's for making hooking up easier. JIM.

JeepFreak21 said:
sad.gif

Billy

Yeah, it should be placed the other way, blocks aren't very strong that way. you need to flip it upright, especially if that thing has a big heavy 7.3 in it.

ILLXJ said:
Does the hitch have any springs on it? If it doesn't it's not a cushion hitch. That one looks like it's for making hooking up easier. JIM.

Rubber bushings. You can see them in the pic. Definitely a cushion hitch. :thumbup:

YELLAHEEP said:
Rubber bushings. You can see them in the pic. Definitely a cushion hitch. :thumbup:

I missed the first pic. of the hitch. JIM.

Back