• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bios flash help

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone help me out with a bios flash?? I have read and read differnt sites but still not 100% here. Its a pc chips board a21g I have the flash downloaded onto my laptop but not sure what files I am supposed to use or the steps to do it. I have not found any instructions for the board that I have.

What are the file names?
What is their size?
Does your pc have a 3.5" drive?
Does your laptop have a 3.5" drive?
Does your laptop have a cd burner?
Can you set the bios on your desktop to boot from the CD drive?

===

jwtrapper said:
Its a pc chips board a21g
Well there is your problem. :D Well at least it is an AMD board.

Best place should be your manual. If you do not have it, that is cool too.

I would boot into your CMOS and check a few things out first.
See how you can input the new BIOS, either Floppy, CD, or jumpdrive.

You should see a section in your CMOS flash/upgrade BIOS select it and see what it prompts you. It should ask for the location of new file. Then whatever it ask for, copy the file on some media (floppy, CD, jumpdrive) and go back into the CMOS and flash your BIOS. Just make sure the power does not turn off when you are flashing.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, if you download a package of files tell us what was in the package. More importantly the file names and the file extension. (ex. bios123.ugd)
It will more than likely be the smallest file that is NOT a text or read document.

Last edited:
Okay I can set it to boot from disk drive in the bios.
The files are:
051130s.Rom ROM File 512kb
then inside another folder ecs_flash is
AFUDOS 104kb
FDOS 1kb
Ucoresys System file 9kb
UCOREW64 System file 8kb
AFUWIN 359kb
Ucoredll.dll 112kb
Ucorevxd.vxd 8kb

Thats all of the files that I have.
I am using an AMD 64 4000 cpu
I just built this thing and nothing comes up. If I put my old hard drive in windows tries to come up but never loads. I also have a new SATA hard drive but with only that it tells me to put in a boot disk and select the drive and then doesnt do anything.
When I fist started it up it told me the CMOS was bad and it would not hold any settings. I replace the little battery and tried it again. It still told me the CMOS was bad but would hold settings. I am not a coputer guy at all I did this to learn more about them but things are not working out like I had hoped.

My laptop can burn the disk and I dont have a floppy drive on anything so it will have to be from disk.

Not sure how to boot into CMOS but I can get into my bios fine.

I did order a new coppy of Windows and a new mother board today but I would like to get this one going. I would like to be able to keep all of the stuff on my old hard drive and not loose it. Any help I can get is great.

Thanks!!

Bad CMOS from the get go???Hmm. Is this an ASUS board? I'd hit their site and see what they say if so. If you don't get the BIOS/CMOS going, you won't get the rest going. However, if you do...

Do you have the driver that supports your SATA drive? I know what you are experiencing. I don't know if you have a floppy, but if loading XP(haven't done a Vista new install yet) It will say hit F6(or similar) if you have SATA and then it will eventually prompt you for the source(floppy,etc). Then you can proceed to load WInders.

jwtrapper said:
Okay I can set it to boot from disk drive in the bios.
The files are:
051130s.Rom ROM File 512kb
then inside another folder ecs_flash is
AFUDOS 104kb
FDOS 1kb
Ucoresys System file 9kb
UCOREW64 System file 8kb
AFUWIN 359kb
Ucoredll.dll 112kb
Ucorevxd.vxd 8kb

Thats all of the files that I have.
I am using an AMD 64 4000 cpu
I just built this thing and nothing comes up. If I put my old hard drive in windows tries to come up but never loads. I also have a new SATA hard drive but with only that it tells me to put in a boot disk and select the drive and then doesnt do anything.
When I fist started it up it told me the CMOS was bad and it would not hold any settings. I replace the little battery and tried it again. It still told me the CMOS was bad but would hold settings. I am not a coputer guy at all I did this to learn more about them but things are not working out like I had hoped.

My laptop can burn the disk and I dont have a floppy drive on anything so it will have to be from disk.

Not sure how to boot into CMOS but I can get into my bios fine.

I did order a new coppy of Windows and a new mother board today but I would like to get this one going. I would like to be able to keep all of the stuff on my old hard drive and not loose it. Any help I can get is great.

Thanks!!

Alright, the bios (Basic Input Ouput System) is a phyically little chip installed on the motherboard that controls how a computer starts up (P.O.S.T. Power On Self Test).

CMOS is know as the (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) what is does is store the time for the clock and other system information such as boot sequence. It uses the the little battery on the motherboard.

You really never access the bios you can flash it from the CMOS.

But you can say either which I used to confuse the two all the time.

To access the CMOS when the computer first start up the the first screen of information on the monitor should say "enter setup ??? or enter system???" or something to the effect. The ??? mean press the delete, F1, CTRL+DEL+ESC or some other key or key combination it depends by manufacture, it should say.

If the you get an error that you CMOS is bad after you changed the battery that is normal just fix the boot sequence, time/date, and anything else that needs to corrected.

If the bios is bad that could be a very big problem.

Have you ever installed an operating system (Windows) before?

What is sounds like from your last post is the boot sequence is messed up when you changed the little battery. Get into the CMOS and set it CD-ROM, Hard Drive SATA0 if it a SATA drive if not make sure it set as a master EIDE HD (or SATA1 if you have hooked up to SATA1). Then save you settings and exit.

Put Windows in they CD rom and load it, Like IndyXJ said when it says load SATA drives press F6, If you do not push it it will continue to load with out it.

The operating system is not loaded yet. I have tried to load it but it keeps telling me to put in the boot disk and select a drive.
Also I think the sata drive is the 1.5gb or sata I and the HD that I have is a sata II or the 3.0gb. Is this going to make a difference?
How can I get my original hard drive to work?

jwtrapper said:
The operating system is not loaded yet. I have tried to load it but it keeps telling me to put in the boot disk and select a drive.
Also I think the sata drive is the 1.5gb or sata I and the HD that I have is a sata II or the 3.0gb. Is this going to make a difference?
How can I get my original hard drive to work?
I do not think it should matter. It should work but the board will only read/write at 1.5

What is you original hard drive? SATA or EIDE

Like I said, It should work. What O/S are trying to install?

2000, XP, and Vista installation disks are boot disks too. Put it in the drive and it should load up a Window's interface and click on install Windows. Just make sure that the CD-Rom/DVD-Rom or what you have is booting up BEFORE the hard drive.

Do you hear your DVD-rom spin up?

EDIT:
Is the DVD-rom EIDE or SATA
If EIDE make sure the little jumper on the back of the device is set as Cable Select.

Try to set everything EIDE to cable select (CS). Then the EIDE cable goes on the Master/Primary 40 pin on the motherboard and the drive goes on the furthest connector away then if you have another drive it goes in the middle. Try to boot from the futhest drive.

Then boot from the drive.

The reason I say CS I have had this problem in the past, I thought logically that my dvd+/-rw drive would be set as a master then my cd-rw would be set as slave. But changed both to Cable and every thing was ok.

Knock on wood this may be it. :D

Back