• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein shocks - my impressions

Greg_pl

NAXJA Forum User
After trying different shocks and 8k miles driven on Bilsteins (HD, blue/yellow colored) I must say there's no way building street XJ without those. They are superb in every aspect to what I used before (Skyjacker, DT3000, SensaTrac). I thought Monroe was great (it was nice and comfy, but body roll was same as with other brands and in cold weather they had different damping strength) but Bilstein shocks are comfort and stiff at the same time. We got pretty bad roads here and they can drive smooth in the straight line, but are so much stiff in curves, they took away most of the body roll allowing to take corners at insane speed. I highly recommend those shocks to anyone who is at stock height (they do not work with lifted/lowered suspension) and want either a good, dependable comfort shock or great street performer - they can deliver both at the same time.
Few weeks after I also added ES poly bushings on front and rear sway bar and it helpd even more with that tight and secure feeling. Now tires take all that body roll force and are screaming (and thread tearing :( ) on high speed corners so I'll have to ditch those M+S and get some sticker tires.

Word of wisdom - buy smaller diameter sway bar bushings! I have 28mm frt and 16mm rr sway bars, measured with digital caliper. But that diameter bushings were too loose, 25mm/14mm worked 10x better. And as for rear sway bar: if you are building street Jeep leave it on. I felt difference when I changed into more tight bushings so removing the whole bar WILL cause more body roll and less secure feeling. Guys with offroad shocks, lifted suspension and bigger than stock tires probobally won't notice it because it's a different vehicle and it doesn't need to handle well. But for cornering fun leave it on.

I will be buying these too, how much did you pay for them and where did you get them from?

Thanks

$50-55 ea w/ shipping is usually a good deal for them on eB. I would recommend Bilstein for any application: stock/lifted/lowered.

(from Warsaw, about 50km from Zyrardow)

I was thinking about that rear Addco sway bar, but I saw PDF instruction and it's suppose to be attached to the leaf springs, kinda odd. I'm still looking for a photo of instaled rear Addco bar but can't find any.

Thanks for the intresting report on the Bilstien shocks. thatts next for me I just got (4) new genaral Grabber HST yesterday on line " Tread Depot" best price I found on sale $79 bucks each free shipping.

I just ordered my Bilsteins today best price on the web $$239.00 for all four shipped! said a price increase in comming soon Got em from "The Shox shop.com.

Back