• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest Uhaul trailer I can tow with XJ w/ tow package?

Renting a car trailer with the truck will probably be cheaper than, going back and forth.
When are you moving? I live near Oceano. I could drive the XJ down for you and you could pay for my train ride back (=
A co-worker of mine's broad works at Fort Locks Self Storage in Nipomo, maybe call and see if they can do a deal for you.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I don't think I need someone to drive the XJ down, but if I end up needing it, I will definitely let you know. Just curious, what do you mean about your friend working a deal for me, do they do Uhaul there?

FWIW, I've towed one of their 5x10's loaded down with furniture in my XJ (4.0L, auto, 3.55's, 30x9.50's). I could definitely tell it was back there, but I think the 6x12 would still be doable.

I've towed quite a bit with my last XJ but it ruined the trans and I had the tow package aka trans cooler and 3.73 gears. The biggest tows was towing an identical XJ (my current heap) with a uhaul car dolly thru the appalachian mountains about 200 miles. I had no other way so i lied to uhaul and said i was towing a geo metro, the only car they said i could tow. It pulled it great but stopping really sucked. I also stripped out a 4 door XJ and loaded it all (expect the shell) onto a 5x10 enclosed trailer and hauled 700 miles, again it pulled great but sucked stopping.

I pulled a 6x12 Uhaul trailer with the XJ. DO NOT USE OVERDRIVE!!. I had a pool table and old Jukebox in there along with a 2 stage snow thrower. It was a little over 100 miles and I was getting 8 mpg at 55mph. Braking was not what I like but I also have a brake controller for it now although the uhaul trailers are surge brake setup.

f the ex...

from NY to AZ...

5651_1121188514626_1374450182_30376989_6761671_n.jpg

5651_1121822290470_1374450182_30378189_8117801_n.jpg

33x10.5 on 4.11s HD tranny cooler and temp gauge..
Not a bad tow at all.

good times

A 6x12 empty towed behind my old 88 like it wasnt even there. We swapped it onto a Tahoe before loading it so i had no direct experience. But as long as it was loaded correctly, you drive like you know you're towing at the max rating and you tow in 3rd, there should be no problem.

If you go uhaul, I would rent a tow dolly and disconnect the rear driveshaft of the XJ to tow down the road. I think the stock straps will barely fit on a 31, but if not, just use the straps and go over the axle tube.

Again, just drive like you know it's back there and everything should go fine. In CA you legally can't exceed 55mph towing anyways, and thats good because that is where you'll get the best fuel economy anyways. You won't be in a hurry to get there so you should never have to change lanes that much, but when you do, just use your mirrors and remember your rig is 32 ft long.

No need. Just throw the t-case in N and keep the trans in P.
With the way my transfer case shifter acts sometimes, I probably would remove the rear DS instead as it's safer.

Old thread, but I had no problem towing the uhaul 6x12' dual axle trailer with my XJ. I've got around 5" of lift, 32's and 4.56 gears and while I could definitely tell the trailer was back there, I pulled it no problem. Granted the farthest I had to go was maybe 10-20 miles at once, but still had it loaded up with furniture to move my gf's stuff to a new house.

FYI - U haul uses the same straps on both there Tow Dollies and there Auto Transports. Save 2 of the stock wheels and tires, or pick them up at a salvage yard. Tread depth is not important, they just need to hold air.

I believe the NP231 has an oil pump on the output shaft. Can anyone confirm this?

U-Haul will void the contract (means you are using stolen equipment) if are towing a different vehicle than what is listed on the contract.

Towed a trailer from Atlanta to Palm Springs loaded with a streetbike, tool box, jeep parts, and the rest of my life... When towing I was 2wd RE longarms, 33bfgs, about 6"-7", 3.55 in the c8.25

snowjeep.jpg

towing in snow is awful and the trailer slides all over the place causing you to slide (go figure) :)

sucked ass towing up steep grades/hills and in the wind it was worse then AIDS!

Last edited:
towing in snow is awful and the trailer slides all over the place causing you to slide (go figure) :)

tone that is no joke, I've done it before too lol...took a turn sharp from a stop sign in my Dodge 2500 and the trailer slid into the next lane then pulled the rear of the truck over and I drifted the set-up for about 150ft...Moral of the story: Don't be dumb, like me.

tone that is no joke, I've done it before too lol...took a turn sharp from a stop sign in my Dodge 2500 and the trailer slid into the next lane then pulled the rear of the truck over and I drifted the set-up for about 150ft...Moral of the story: Don't be dumb, like me.

Im dumber! I drove in a white out after that pic was taken getting the wind gust going under the bridges on I40 just pushing me into the other lane while the wheels are pointed straight(black ice) almost died twice, but I was probably going faster then I should have been going. :D

just remember, the faster you are going, the more momentum you have, so you'll stay in your lane better... right? :anon:

Back