• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big street tires

trust me, i'm not a mall crawler, unless you count urban wheelin that, but, i was loking just for something that is good in dirt, and has a decent ride on the highway, i always thought the thornbirds looked cool, but i knew they probably had a downside. i would totally go bfg's, but the price is the only thing holding me back on those. thanks for your input and keep em comin, i like to hear your views on tires.

btw, what do you guys think of cooper discoverer atr's?

Good street tire, my wife has them on her Liberty. Did real well in snow. Never had them offroad. I have been told they need to be rotated on a regular schedule or they wear funny. JIM.

if you're gettin it anywhere near the street...stay away from anything interco makes, haha...

look into a procomp mud terrain...great tire! works well, and lasts 40k+ miles if you treat them right...

also, +1 on the maxxis bighorn which is the same as the Summit Mud Dawg...both work well

i love my thornbirds
thorn1.jpg

Talk about polishing a turd.....

Although I'm sure they work much better than stock, i.e. they actually work.

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts on my first XJ years ago. Very good tire on mild trails and snow.

I ran General Grabbers after running BFG AT's for a few years. The grabbers were cheaper, wore as well and went better in the snow.They both sucked in the mud, but fairly quiet on the street. The Grabbers are really decent affordable tires. Went great in harsh NH weather. Now I'm running Yokohama Geolander AT's...horrible, horriable tire. I only hear good things about TreadWright too.

Toyo MTs are really quiet and nice on road. And are sick offroad. I DD mine more than I wheel it and I love em. Don't make them in the sizes you said but the AT they do. They're pretty aggresive for and AT and do really well. Same with the Nitto AT and another vote for the BFG AT.

Look on eBay. They're pretty cheap on there.

Back