• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Tensioner Bolt

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I went and tried to loosen the tension before first loosening the bolt on the actual pully and SNAP!! :doh:

I snapped the bolt that controls how tight the tension pully is on the belt. Looks like only the Stealership carries this bolt. Any ideas on how to release the tension now that the bolt is snaped about 2" above the pully? 99 4.0L

Last edited:
My adjuster snapped when it rusted tight in the block behind the pulley.

If you loosen the pulley bolt it should move without being restricted by the now broken adjuster.

I set the pulley to where I thought it should be and muscled the belt on and it has been working fine for over a year.

Junkyard's where I got mine. If you loosen the pulley center bolt the belt will come loose, retightening it (without replacing the adjuster) will take some work. Once you get the belt on, lift up on the pulley as hard as you can with one hand and tighten the bolt with the other. It's real ghetto but it works and it's better than being stranded.

As far as getting a new bolt without buying one from the stealership, you can just buy a section of all-thread and weld a nut on the end of it. Viola, new bolt.

I did the same thing.

Paid $18 for the bolt. Everything worked like a charm. Just hope that I didn't over tighten the belt. I figure the belt being a little error on the snug side is better than on the loose side.

Paid $18 for the bolt. Everything worked like a charm. Just hope that I didn't over tighten the belt. I figure the belt being a little error on the snug side is better than on the loose side.

If it was too loose you would get squealing. The belt needs quite a lot of tension, so I think you'll be fine with being on the "snug side."

Uh, *NO*. Serpentine belts do *NOT* need a lot of tension. It's actually quite easy to overtighten that belt. It should deflect a half inch in the middle of the top span with a small load, maybe 40 lbs. Nowhere near as tight as an old v-belt needed.

Uh, *NO*. Serpentine belts do *NOT* need a lot of tension. It's actually quite easy to overtighten that belt. It should deflect a half inch in the middle of the top span with a small load, maybe 40 lbs. Nowhere near as tight as an old v-belt needed.

I suppose "a lot" of tension is pretty subjective. To me it seemed like more than I was expecting. I just tensioned mine to the same spot it was originally.

But, a half inch deflection sounds about right.

Back