• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bbq grill

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
Did we drop the idea of building the official chapter BBQ grill? I need to start on it pretty soon if we want it for SCF.
I have no problem with donating time, the welder, and consumables, but i can't supply the metal or burners. It would be awesome if i could get someone to lend a hand too, like cutting stuff while i weld or whatever.

Is it okay if the help comes with Varmints in tow?

Do you have a materials list in mind?

A design/pattern to follow?

If we are trying to build one like the one we rent I can probably get dimensions/pics from one that a nearby church has. It seems the top is just a metro shelf, or something very much like one.

Thank you for bringing this up. I recall the discussion, and yes, it is time to do something about it if we intend to do it.

ETA: A quick search for a metro shelving top found an 18" x 48" shelf in Escondido for $15: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mat/d/18-in-48-inshelfnew/6426626468.html

Last edited:
Is it okay if the help comes with Varmints in tow?

Do you have a materials list in mind?

A design/pattern to follow?

If we are trying to build one like the one we rent I can probably get dimensions/pics from one that a nearby church has. It seems the top is just a metro shelf, or something very much like one.

Thank you for bringing this up. I recall the discussion, and yes, it is time to do something about it if we intend to do it.

ETA: A quick search for a metro shelving top found an 18" x 48" shelf in Escondido for $15: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mat/d/18-in-48-inshelfnew/6426626468.html
We had a rough plan back in the day, and i believe Sean "Souske" had some stainless grates or had at least a line on them for the cooking surface.
Those shelves might be ok, However i don't know if the plating would be ok for a cooking surface (it may delaminate from the heat over time).

We'd need to know the grates and burners we are using before i could really come up with a design.

As for help, I'll be building it at work, so probably not a good idea to have kids there to be honest. It'll be after work or on a weekend.

If you can swing a stainless grilling surface that would certainly be better than chrome, but I am pretty sure chrome is what comes on the typical Weber kettle, and as far as I can tell it hasn't killed me yet.

The Varmints are my ball and chain, but I could donate some funds to the material acquisition part of the project.

I have a couple of grill toppers for Spiedies, one at PSR, one at home. They use a 1" angle iron frame and expanded metal for the grilling surface. They work extremely well, and are NOT stainless. The one at home, which sees heavy use, lasted 8 years before rusting through, and this grill sits outside all year round, including rain and snow. The trick is to clean it the next time you use it, leaving a layer of protective grease on the grill.

For as often as this grill would be used, I don't think you'd need stainless, unless you had a line on it for free. Point being, expanded metal may work quite well.

In my case, the diamond shaped holes in the expanded metal are probably 3/4", small enough to keep the Spiedies from falling through, excepting the sacrifice to the bbq gods.

David Bricker / SYR

We can do expanded metal. Even stainless expanded metal isn't that expensive.
Will we need this for this year's SCF, or is there provisions in place at Calico?

Calico has a small grill, hardly adequate for our usual turnout. I have plenty of good condition 55 gallon drums if anybody decides to take it that route.

Back