• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baja Mexico Home Build & Trip Feeler Thread

REVROK

NAXJA Forum User
A few pictures of a trip I took last November to Ensenada, Mexico. My friend Paul Holman of Gettin' Off 4x4 club and I participated in an event called Love East Bay www.loveeastbay.com and we used Paul's trailer to take a prefabbed loft home to a family of 3 outside Ensenada and get them a real start in life working with an organization called "Hands of Mercy." www.handsofmercy.com

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

To make a long story short, Paul and I want to go again for our April 2 Love East Bay and we want NAXJA to be involved, but only if a significant number of you guys are interested. We can easily include SoCal guys as well. The initial "Pre-Build" the house takes place in San Leandro on April 1&2. The prefabbed house is then trailered for transport to Mexico with everything we need to put it together. The total cost of the house is $3,000 and would be split between the churches involved and the participants in the build. The cost to stay at the camp in Mexico is $250. So I am figuring it would cost $300-350 plus gas to go (Date would probably be a weekend in May). There is no cost to be involved in the pre-build in April.

There is nothing like the feeling of building that house and handing the keys to a struggling family. I think the club could get some great publicity for this or magazine exposure. I am sure we are all tired of the exposure our sport usually gets.

Then, of course, we can wheel Baja after the build as long as we want and/or can afford.

What do you guys think?

I will see what I can get together. Mabey even get my church involved. But to be honest I am not going unarmed. Too many people including christians have been getting killed down there. So if I cant go armed I cant go. Please let me know the exact dates.

I will see what I can get together. Mabey even get my church involved. But to be honest I am not going unarmed. Too many people including christians have been getting killed down there. So if I cant go armed I cant go. Please let me know the exact dates.

Ensenada is pretty peaceful... been there twice in the last year and have felt safer than in my hometown of San Leandro. If you need your handgun though I would say hide it in the interior paneling to get across the border, pack it legally coming back into the USA (definitely not in the paneling as they will tear the whole car apart).

i might be down for this as well. it sounds totally awesome. april 1 and 2 is sooner than i thought though, i think we should contact some publications to try to get some positive light on 4 wheelers , we can use everything we can get these days for positive publicity.

oh i didnt see that, pre build in april , its in may. that sounds more do-able!

April 1st and 2nd would be the prefab dates locally in San Leandro. The date for the Mexico trip is TBD and depends on you guy's availability and the group in Ensenada that oversees the builds. Probable dates are in May and June, especially since we have to give people time to get passports.

PRE-BUILD HANDS OF MERCY LOFT HOMES ON FRIDAY, April 1st, 4:30 PM TO 7:30 PM:
COST: $3,000 per Loft House- Donation by participant? Church sponsorship? Other possibilities?
Location: Parking lot of Halcyon Baptist Church, 2860 Halcyon Dr, San Leandro.
Team Leaders: TBA
Volunteers: 8
Supplies: 4 chop saws, hammers, tape measures

HANDS OF MERCY LOFT HOME CONSTRUCTION PROJECT FOR MEXICO (see website www.handsofmercy.com ) This Project is from 8:00 AM until 2:30 PM:
Location: Parking lot of Halcyon Baptist Church, 2860 Halcyon Dr, San Leandro
Team Leaders: TBA
Volunteers: 20 (men, women and children age 10 and above)
Supplies: 4 table saws, hammers, tape measures

HANDS OF MERCY MISSION TRIP TO MEXICO – PUT TOGETHER LOFT HOMES in Mexico Date: TBA (Probable late May or June)
Team Leaders: Tim Royal
Volunteers: 15-20
Cost: TBA (around $200-250 per person)
Supplies: Passport needed (if you don’t have one the process takes about 8 weeks). A tool list will be provided.

The nice thing about the multi-part approach is that if you can't make it to Mexico you can still participate free of charge in the pre-build.

The nice thing about the multi-part approach is that if you can't make it to Mexico you can still participate free of charge in the pre-build.

i like that idea

Back