• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Badlands wireless winch controller, is it compatible with the WARN XD9000i

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have read that it will work but the one I bought doesn't. Well it worked for one second and that was it.

I have read that you have to attach the antenna wire to ground (doesn't make sense) and some say no but mine would not work at all until I grounded the antenna wire but it was short lived.

So did I get a bad controller? Or do I need to run a separate ground?

Anyone else have any experience with this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-winch-remote-control-69229.html

Reading the reviews it sounds pretty generic.

I wouldn't ground the antenna lead, but that's just me.
Take a look at the reviews, there are some interesting tech tips in there on how some folks have adapted for use on their Non-Badlands winch.

The new one doesn't work either. I have the plug bored out so it can fit the receptacle on the winch.

The winch works with my wired remote.

I'm at a loss, not sure where to go from here and I guess I'm out $40

This is the consistent pinout I'm seeing.
yellow/green is 12V, black is ground, blue is in, and brown is out.

Pretty cool I'll throw this on my non priority to do list.

As far as not working I'd try jumping them onto the pins or something to bypass the plug, shitty connection might be your problem.

This is the consistent pinout I'm seeing.
yellow/green is 12V, black is ground, blue is in, and brown is out.

Pretty cool I'll throw this on my non priority to do list.

As far as not working I'd try jumping them onto the pins or something to bypass the plug, shitty connection might be your problem.

Yep but I want to be able to disconnect it so that interference won't cause it to spool in/out while not in use. I guess i could install a toggle on the box to shut off the ground and or power.

Yep but I want to be able to disconnect it so that interference won't cause it to spool in/out while not in use. I guess i could install a toggle on the box to shut off the ground and or power.

Yeah I'd toggle the 12v probably help keep it from burning out/draining your battery anyway.

FIXED IT!!!!!!

So, chassis wiring is not my strong suit but I did somehow figure this thing out. It seems the ground through the connector at the winch isn't enough so I jumped a ground into the wireless controller and BINGO! It worked.

Here is how I did it;

There is a nice soldering tab inside the box where the ground wire is soldered, plenty of room for a spare wire. Cut off a 1' piece of 16g black primary and strip/tin the end of it. Solder that to the tab as shown.

IMG_20160827_130011548.jpg

IMG_20160827_130542156_TOP.jpg

Drill a hole in the face of the box just big enough for the ground wire to slide through, slip the wire in there then seal the hole with silicon.
IMG_20160827_131030048.jpg

Now you can put the reciever back into the box and tighten the screws, your work is done here :yelclap:

One more item before the install, the Badlands plug is .65 ID and the WARN plug is .75 ID. You need to hog out the inside diameter of the Badlands plug. I used an XACTO knife and "whittled" out the extra material. Don't slice your thumb like I did :looser:
IMG_20160827_131313975.jpg

Now, find a place to mount the box! I mounted mine on the backside of the solenoid cover.
IMG_20160827_132750240.jpg

Put the screws facing outward so they will not rub the large winch cables in the solenoid area, you don't want a dead short and a fire!
IMG_20160827_132754166_TOP1.jpg

Now, zip tie the antenna, controller lead and ground wire up and out of the way, you don't want that to get caught up in the cable while spooling in!
IMG_20160827_133606810.jpg

Strip and then crimp a ring connector onto the ground wire, after you cut it to length, and attach the ground to the housing with one of the existing controller connector retaining screws.
IMG_20160827_133612466.jpg

Last piece of business, attach the wireless remote to something that you can either clip to your belt, like I did, or a lance to wear it around your neck (I don't like things around my neck when near rotating machinery but whatever works for you)
IMG_20160827_134108524.jpg

I always forget something......

I recommend disconnecting the plug from the receiver to the winch when not in use. Radio interference may cause your winch to spool in or out at an undesired time. Thats not good!!!!

I can still use my wired remote by simply plugging it in! Its good to have redundant systems.

I do not notice any "lag" between pressing the button and the winch reacting, some reviews I read spoke of that issue.

It works better than I would have ever expected!

good write up! i was going to say something along the lines of what you did (i just bought a winch and have been looking into wireless remotes) but didnt want to spread any bad information, as i have no first hand experience.

i had read though of cutting the pin connector off and hard wiring the controller to the winch. this would eliminate your suspected grounding issue. if doing this, i like your and Albandit's idea of wiring in a toggle for power. subscribing to this for future reference.

EDIT:
im guessing you used this write up?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/16679458-post19.html

Last edited:
Back