• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad idle plus squeal...

Dunlapx

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj with 4.0

I have this hideous squeal coming from my engine and during idle there is a bad shake, upon measuring the temps of the cylinders with a laser gauge at the header pipe coming out of the head, i found that the first cylinder(closest to the water pump) is running at 400 degrees, the rest seem to be around 200 degrees.

any ideas of what i could be looking at?

Thanks.

high exhaust temps is a strong indication of a lean mixture-- look for an intake gasket leak (on cylinder 1), a faulty injector (on cylinder 1), or loss of signal to the injector-- the injector should have power when the engine is running and the ECU makes and brakes the ground path to cycle the injector.

I had a bad squeal at idle only when first started, then it would go away. When i finally popPed hood to check belts , found oUt it was coming from a bad distributor.

I'm sure there ore flow quantities posted somewhere, but I'm a lazy S.O.B.

I usually just swap the injector into another location and see if the higher temps follow it or stay in the first location.

Back