• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Grinding sound

Spanaway Mudder

NAXJA Forum User
I have a very bad grinding sound when I start my jeep up..also when I put it back into park and nuteral ...The engine was out of a 89 Xj with a manual trany..I pulled the clutch pak off and the fly wheel..installed the flex plate and dust cover...

Started it all up and now it just grinds like a mofo...

please help..:helpme:

Iam tired of spending money and not being able to drive it...:flamemad:

if you pulled the tranny to the engine using the bolts you could have messed up the pilot bearing........also you might check the dust covers they can get bent easily and rub against the flywheel.

98XJeep said:
if you pulled the tranny to the engine using the bolts you could have messed up the pilot bearing........also you might check the dust covers they can get bent easily and rub against the flywheel.

I'm guessing he's talking about an auto since he mentions park and a flex plate. In which case he doesn't have a pilot bearing. It is vital that the torque converter be fully seated into the tranny or it can be damaged when you snug the bellhousing bolts up. Just need to turn it until it clicks all the way down.

Maybe the dust cover is hitting the flex plate?

dude just take the dust cover off and try it again.......unless you want to pull the trans again for no reason (potentially) and if the noise aint gone you already have it off, to pull that pesky trans to see what happened

Well I have come to the conclusion that I screwed up and didnt double check my engine all the way around before putting it in and forgot to remove the pilot bearing from inside the crank when I pulled the clutch pack off of it..

this is a guess, but if its that , why would I wanna put that tranny back up in there?

I have another one..

so who's free tomarow and near Span-tuckey?...come on P star..I know you wanna help out...

Um, yeah if the old pilot bearing is in there, that might cause a few problems with it mating up. Hopefully no damage, though. Unfortunately, I'm about 300-miles away or I'd head over. I'll be out that way in January but I hope you've solved the problem by then.

Back