• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AVOID Jim Archer Jeep Houston, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
i went to this stealership a few weeks ago. basically they said they would fix a problem, i let them try twice. 10 days and $800 later the jeep was still not working 100%. they would not refund $$$ just wanted to try more $$$$ repair at my cost.

Jim Archer Chrysler Jeep
19200 nortwest frreway
houston tx 77065

just got a response from diamler chrysler, said i am SOL unless the stealer changes thier mind. guess i will simply share my experience with all the jeepers i know.

dealer phone:
281-445-6400
managers: Darrell Bill, Don Bridges, JAMES E ARCHER
15 November 2005

DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

Dear Customer Service Representative:

I am writing to inform you of my recent service experience at Jim Archer Chrysler Jeep in Houston, Texas. This dealership is truly a disgrace to the Jeep brand as well as the Daimler Chrysler name.

I brought my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee into the service department at Jim Archer Jeep the morning of 11/10/05. My service writer was Kathy Michael. The Jeep was stalling at idle while stopped in traffic around town. After the mechanic diagnosed the problem, I was informed the problem was definitely a new PCM computer for the cost of $664.35. I authorized the repair and picked up the Jeep Friday afternoon at 7:00 PM.

I gladly drove off in my “repaired” Jeep only to find out at the first stop the jeep was stalling just as badly as before the “repair”. I drove back within 10 minutes to inform the only service writer on duty (Robert Carrasco) of my situation. I was informed the dealership would quote “Make this right” and make sure I was taken care of. He was surely mistaken. The Jeep sat at the dealership Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday before a mechanic looked at it again. I was not offered a rental car or discount for my inconvenience.

Monday 11/14/05 I received a call from the service department than the problem was a shorted speed sensor at the cost of approximately $140 additional. I was amazed they expected me to pay for another part so they could gamble to see if this was the right diagnosis this time (as they were wrong the first time around costing me $660). Well, I authorized the charges because I needed the Jeep back, my time is valuable.

I found it interesting the first repair did absolutely nothing for the problem but this second, much cheaper repair was under $150. Surely if both were the problem, they would have been repaired the first time. I expressed my concern to Jeep Customer service who suggested I contact the General Manager. I contacted the General Manager who seemed uninterested in my concern and just transferred me back to the service manager. After talking to the service manager she agreed $8.80 off of my second repair was the only necessary compensation for this hassle. I again contacted the General Manager to express my concerns with the service department. I informed him I was looking for a 05-06 Wrangler off his lot but this was not the way to win over new customers. Again, he seemed unresponsive and just told me to move onto the next dealer. Great advice indeed!

I am so disappointed in this experience I believe my next 4x4 will be a 05 Nissan Pathfinder rather than a 05-06 Wrangler. That way I will not be stuck with incompetent service departments during the warranty period.

11/15/05 I picked up the twice repaired jeep. When paying for the repair I noticed the promised 10% discount was not reflected. No surprise with this dealer, more false promises. It took some talking but the $8.80 was finally credited on the bill. I paid $133.33 and drove off.

11/16/05 after driving the jeep for a day or so the acceleration is jerky at times (new problem after speed sensor) as well as stalling out a few more times, intermittently). Enough is enough! I referred to my Chrysler FSM for the ZJ (the specific publication is for a 1997 ZJ (Grand Cherokee)). By referring to Section 8C I easily determined by performing the specified tests that the alternator was not putting out enough AMPS to sustain the engine and electrical systems (minimum test amps is 90 amps, alt was putting out under 15 amps). I verified this finding with a local, independent mechanic. The root of these problems was a faulty alternator, not providing enough current to the ECU/PCM…. The battery was also tested and found to be sufficient. I asked the Archer mechanic who “fixed” my jeep at Archer if he ever tested the battery or alternator. He told me no, he just pulled the codes initially and diagnosed it as PCM failure. I called into Archer again to find the cost of alternator replacement. I was quoted $320. However, this will most certainly be performed elsewhere, most likely at Finnegan Jeep Five Star Dealer in Tomball, TX.

At this point I am basically out near $800 with a jeep no better than it rolled in there.

I suppose I should have done my homework on this dealer before I set foot on their lot. Their BBB report (attached) shows they are unresponsive to customer concerns with their UNSATISFACTORY rating.

I am truly disgusted with my experience here. I am actively involved in many local and national Jeep and 4x4 Clubs who will be informed to avoid this dealership for Service, Sales, Warranty Repairs, Recall Repairs, or Parts. I am a member of North American XJ Association (NAXJA), North American Grand Cherokee Association (NAGCA), Louisiana 4x4 Club, Delta 4x4 Club, and have contacts in Houston’s Southern High Rollers 4x4 Club as well as Texas Motorized Trail Coalition (TMTC). I will be sure that this problem does not happen again to any of my friends who use this Dealership, or more appropriately Stealership.

You should be able to take care of an alternator fairly easily. The wife and I stopped in at Jim Archer when we were looking for her van. We spent about 5 minutes inside the showroom door and never even considered going back. Bad vibes. The sales force gave the impression of a pack of black tipped reef sharks. That, and we looked like hicks. They weren't going spend their valuable time on us.

If you have to have a dealership do the job I'd actually recommend (kind of scary to be recommending a dealership) Team Dodge here in Huntsville. They've been treating us fair for about three years now. I know when they misdiagnosed the wife's van once, all subsequent work was under that initial shop warranty.

Good Luck.

Oh, yeah. Nice letter.
thumbsup_.gif

I would file a motion in small claims court for a refund.

yeah, its actually my sisters jeep ZJ. i was taking care of the whole repair process so she would not get screwed (that did not work out well...) i could imagine if she went in there though im sure they would have just added charges till they fixed it

she was so pissed off in the end she sold the jeep and did buy an xterra
(pretty nice actually with the 265 hp, 290? ft-lb V6)

alt would have cost me about $120-$150 to put in

like i said daimler chrysler said they coud not do anything about this. I am going to send it to someone higher up over there and see what happens.

XJ Dreamin' said:
You should be able to take care of an alternator fairly easily. The wife and I stopped in at Jim Archer when we were looking for her van. We spent about 5 minutes inside the showroom door and never even considered going back. Bad vibes. The sales force gave the impression of a pack of black tipped reef sharks. That, and we looked like hicks. They weren't going spend their valuable time on us.

If you have to have a dealership do the job I'd actually recommend (kind of scary to be recommending a dealership) Team Dodge here in Huntsville. They've been treating us fair for about three years now. I know when they misdiagnosed the wife's van once, all subsequent work was under that initial shop warranty.

Good Luck.

Oh, yeah. Nice letter.
thumbsup_.gif

In future letters of a negative nature, please leave NAXJA off of them.
We're not into the whole bad publicity thing.
Especially to DMC!
Thanks.

lol... name-dropping naxja like someone's going to give a shit.... :)

LouisianaZJ said:
yeah, its actually my sisters jeep ZJ. i was taking care of the whole repair process so she would not get screwed (that did not work out well...) i could imagine if she went in there though im sure they would have just added charges till they fixed it

she was so pissed off in the end she sold the jeep and did buy an xterra
(pretty nice actually with the 265 hp, 290? ft-lb V6)

alt would have cost me about $120-$150 to put in

like i said daimler chrysler said they coud not do anything about this. I am going to send it to someone higher up over there and see what happens.

Ah, well, moot point then.

old_man said:

by far the best advise you've gotten out of anyone. I'd at least roll the dice.

Depends on where you live, but serving them a summons to appear in court won't be hard.

For aprox. another $70.00 You should be able to recoup some $ due to their incompetance.

WHO left Okie in charge of the DEATH STAR ? :cool:

Last edited:
old_man said:
That, and report the incident to whatever agency in Texas lienses repair facilities. In Connecticut, it's the Department of Motor Vehicles, and a dealer who charges $600 for a repair that doesn't fix the problem will either fix the problem at no additional cost or find that they are operating a dealership with no repair department for the next 90 days.

Did you keep the old PCM?

At least then you'd have a spare for the boonie box for your ZJ. Or filp it on ebay, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back