• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATTN: Gun People

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
Merely tossing around the idea of getting a gun for protection. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on this:
XD9301bi.jpg

LINK
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Merely tossing around the idea of getting a gun for protection. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on this:
XD9301bi.jpg

LINK
Billy
Is that a .45 Gap? I would stay away from that caliber...From what the gun stores tell me its not as good as they make it out to be...If you want a .45 stick with an ACP.

You might want to consider looking at the new ruger P345. Its what I am thinking about.

EDIT: Never mind....saw the link....Springfield makes good stuff...

As for caliber, 9mm seems to be great, i've read quite abit about .40's with FAE issues. I'm looking at picking up a .357 sig at some point here, once i can find a clean used one.

With the exception of Hollywood...

They allow you to even look at guns in California?

:D

Springfield Armory is good stuff...

Fisrt time I've heard of this particular model...

go H&K or go unprepared...

7yn6u7e.gif

DrMoab said:
Is that a .45 Gap? I would stay away from that caliber...From what the gun stores tell me its not as good as they make it out to be...If you want a .45 stick with an ACP.

You might want to consider looking at the new ruger P345. Its what I am thinking about.

EDIT: Never mind....saw the link....Springfield makes good stuff...

My bad, I meant to mention... I'm considering the 9mm (in all black).
Billy

What type of protection are you looking for. Home, carry, car, camping, etc...

My fav's are
personal carry: wheelguns in the .357 mag flavor (although I like my Browning Hi-power)
home: Rem 870
camping: ruger super blackhawk .44 mag

various others.

Here is just one NJ police officers point of view:
If you are looking for home protection, you want something basicly idiot proof (please, no offense intended). I just mean that you want something that you can pick up at 2am when you (God forbid) hear that sound of breaking glass downstairs. A simple .357 mag is more than you will need for home defense. With semi-auto pistols you always have the potential for a malfunction (double feed, stove pipe, etc.). As was stated earlier, even better is the 12ga pump shotgun. Just hearing the sound of racking it has a high pants-wetting factor for bad guys. Personally in my safe I have a Glock model 27 .40 cal compact; for off duty carry. Very accurate and nearly indestructable. I also have a Remington model 870 20ga. shotgun w/ rifled barrel using 5/8 oz. slugs and a ghost ring sight. (same type shotgun my pd uses on patrol). This is just my quick opinion. If you want something more in depth feel free to pm me. I am a firearms instructor for both my P.D. and the county police academy (so I kinda know what I'm talking about) :) I hope I helped.
Rob

JeepFreak21 said:
Mostly home. Occasionally camping.
Billy
If that is what you are looking for, go with a shottie. I can't remember the exact model, but the version that I have is from Wally-World for around $250, with a tang mounted safety(right handed, shoot lefty).

The sound of a shell being racked into the chamber will deter all but the bravest(or dumbest). If you are set on a pistol, go for a revolver if this is your first gun. Taurus makes some nice ones.

Fergie

Kropper said:
Here is just one NJ police officers point of view:
If you are looking for home protection, you want something basicly idiot proof (please, no offense intended). I just mean that you want something that you can pick up at 2am when you (God forbid) hear that sound of breaking glass downstairs. A simple .357 mag is more than you will need for home defense. With semi-auto pistols you always have the potential for a malfunction (double feed, stove pipe, etc.). As was stated earlier, even better is the 12ga pump shotgun. Just hearing the sound of racking it has a high pants-wetting factor for bad guys. Personally in my safe I have a Glock model 27 .40 cal compact; for off duty carry. Very accurate and nearly indestructable. I also have a Remington model 870 20ga. shotgun w/ rifled barrel using 5/8 oz. slugs and a ghost ring sight. (same type shotgun my pd uses on patrol). This is just my quick opinion. If you want something more in depth feel free to pm me. I am a firearms instructor for both my P.D. and the county police academy (so I kinda know what I'm talking about) :) I hope I helped.
Rob

The problem with a shotgun is that I can't afford/don't have room for a big gun safe.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
The problem with a shotgun is that I can't afford/don't have room for a big gun safe.
Billy
Not needed. With a proper lock, and keeping it in the correct spot, you won't have a problem.

Fergie

I prefer a gun safe. When I get home my keys stay in the door, when I leave it gets locked up.

COLT 1911...best ever made, next to ma deuce.

I have that EXACT XD in .40 S&W and love it. Don't worry at all about a lock unless you have kids....My cat knocks it off the nightstand all the time....NO FEAR OF AN ACCIDENTAL FIRING AT ALL.

The forty costs more to fire...but check the ballistics...the 9mm is much weaker.

Get a small fire safe ($40) and toss it in there whenever you're not around.

Here's an experienced fellow's point of view.

Carry/use the biggest caliber you can reasonably control at a sustained rate of fire. Learned that from Massad Ayoob, who taught my instructors...and whom I hope to learn more from someday.

12ga is great for the home. As stated before, a proper lock negates the 'need' for a gun safe. However, when leaving for extended periods of time, it's nice to have something really secure to store it in. I've known a few people who had houses broken into, but guns were left alone because they were properly stored. I don't know about you, but if someone steals my TV I don't really have to worry about them committing a crime with it. ;) Also, CONTRARY to what was stated, the 'racking the slide' is pure Hollywood. Sure it's a recognizable sound to a sober person, but someone under the influence may not react the way you want them to. To ME a racked slide means one less shell loaded in the shotty. One simple way to handle things is to assess where the family is, and get on the opposite side of the bed from the door, lay the shotgun across the bed, and STAY PUT. You may know your house, but your bed is going to be some of the best cover you have. Keep a phone next to the bed and get everyone to that side. Have extra shells handy on that side of the bed, along with a GOOD flashlight. Holler out that the police are on their way and to stay away from that room, or there'll be hell to pay. Does this make sense? STAY PUT and call the police. DEFEND yourself, not your property. Material things can be replaced, human lives can't.

As for hardware you don't have to worry about having a 'short' barrel if you stay put in your room. Shorties are for room to room clearing, which would only be required in a special situation...such as running to the kids' room to grab them. If you can assess that they're OK then watch the hall. Pistols work well for all situations. I prefer 12ga for home use because of the multiple projectiles and greater probability of hitting and area target.

ABOVE ALL I highly suggest receiving some training not only in marksmanship/tactics, but in state laws. Just because you may not be carrying concealed, you still need to know how your state views home defense. REALLY consider that just because someone enters your home, you are not obligated to blow them away. As I said earlier, material items can be replaced...so defend YOURSELF and FAMILY first. A crackhead with a DVD player in hand is typically not considered a threat to your safety. Understand that while there may not be any legal implications to a defense situation, there are certainly civil ones involved. In other words, you may not have charges filed against you, but the deceased may have left family behind who will likely sue you for civil damages. Having a full knowledge of these implications and a lawyer on retainer sure help you sleep better at night.

Take this all for what it's worth, as I can't make you follow everything I've stated. I am speaking from experience and will be happy to answer any questions you have, Billy. My door is open. I can go through my channels to put you in touch with folks in your area who can help. :) Lemme know and I'll give you a call sometime.

Back