• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB/Truetrac arrangement

ARB/Truetrac combo opinions

• Truetrac/Truetrac

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Truetrac front/ARB rear

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • ARB f/Truetrac r

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • ARB/ARB

Votes: 49 66.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The torque applied to the differential (an open one) will always take the path of least resistance first. That means the wheel with no traction gets the torque. It's true you can redirect some torque to the wheel with traction but it will never exceed the torque of the wheel with no traction. If you apply the brakes, it's the same as if the wheels started to get traction, the torque will still go to the wheel with the least resistance to turning.

What you are saying is right if you replace torque with power. With the cutting brake, if you apply 100lbft of braking force to the lifted wheel, the other one will get a max of 100lbft. That means the diff is applying 100lbft to both wheels, even though one is held by the brake, and one is driving the vehicle. BUT the braked one is getting 0hp, and all power is going to the driving one.

Power isn't the same as torque though. Theoretically no power goes to the wheel that isn't spinning because horsepower is a product of torque and rpm

Bingo!

What we said from the beginning. I understand that an open diff always attempts to split torque 50/50, but there's more going on than just that, which is why I've said that's not a very good explanation of what's going on.

Oh, and I used the term power from the beginning. The power that the engine is developing and sending through the drivetrain, which is directed or routed through the differential.

BTW, I also have a pretty good working knowledge of how cutting brakes work and what they do, since I drive my rock buggy most of the time with the rear diff open and use the cutting brakes to get traction. In fact, the cutting brakes work so well that if I lost the rear locker completely (which has happened with burnt air lines) it doesn't effect trail performance. But, that's in a buggy where I can look back and see what tire doesn't have traction.

Anyway, a good discussion. :cheers:

Last edited:
wow

way too many words for me. Started reading, got bored, then got hungry. Came back read some more, then retired...from work....then finished.

Lets try pictures. They're way more funner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc

The music is good too. And you can click on the blue jeep on the right to see it work.

whew, I'm going to sleep now. :speepin:

Back