• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone on here a LabView Geek

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Was just sitting here doing some coding and was wondering if anybody out there in the real world ever use LabView? I've been using it for 15 years and am LabView Certified.

Not a geek, but use it a lot for structural testing. I have a big project in the works involving multiple channels of active motor control where I might reach geek status.

Was just sitting here doing some coding and was wondering if anybody out there in the real world ever use LabView? I've been using it for 15 years and am LabView Certified.

My school taught us AgilentVEE.

I thought it was stupid since everyone was using LabView.

I've used the GUI but I've never written my own program with it before. One of the other departments at work uses it a lot and write their own code.

I use Matlab, HyperWorks, Abaqus, and Solidworks mostly.

I'm a Solidworks guy as well. I also have SolidCam.

Hey if any of you guys know of anybody who needs some Labview written, let me know. I've been doing test engineering for 35 years.

Any of you gotten the NI Certification for LabView?

The CLAD is not horribly hard if you read the book, but the CLD is the single hardest test I have ever taken. You have to write and document a complete project to LabView standards in 4 hours from scratch. Lots of ques and interrupts.

I took a Labview class but we never got to do anything useful with the program. I'm glad to see its used in the real world and that my time wasn't wasted on that class. A friend of mine did some searching on the Labview forum and found that somebody had used it to control a CNC milling machine, seems overly complicated unless it was used to convert tap sequential to G-code or something allong those lines.

~Alex

With Fortune500 companies, LabView is the predominant test engineering software. HP Vee has fallen by the wayside in comparison. Some other outfits use MatLab as well.

Any of you gotten the NI Certification for LabView?

The CLAD is not horribly hard if you read the book, but the CLD is the single hardest test I have ever taken. You have to write and document a complete project to LabView standards in 4 hours from scratch. Lots of ques and interrupts.

I've heard those classes are pretty intense. I bet the a lot of the people who take that class know more than the tech support there. Thats not a knock to their tech support, more of a compliment to the people who take the class.

You could just apply to NI right now you know. They are looking for people. I laughed when I saw this thread because I used to be a the support engineer for Fieldpoint PLCs. I've done my fair share of LV programming but it has been a while. I have a FieldPoint running part of my test bench here at work right now.

I've never even heard of AgilentVEE. I always viewed Mathworks as the main programming competitor when I worked there.

Last edited:
VEE originated with Hewlett Packard. I actually worked on writing the symbol table editor for VEE. I also was with HP and worked on the Plug and Play Consortium that standardized DLL's and drivers between manufacturers. So I have worked with both LabView and VEE for over 15 years.

MatLab is cool but isn't as easy to make a real slick application with. VEE can get you to your first measurement quicker, but as soon as the needs start getting complicated, it gets real clunky. LabView can do almost anything. That tends to mean it is a lower level language. To do a great application, you need to understand programming and structure. In other words, a crappy programmer equals crappy code. LabView stresses a consistent style and disciplined programming style.

I am hoping to be able to take my Certified LabView Architect certification tests by the end of the year.

Good luck with your LV architect test. Do you plan on becoming an alliance member? I think that's who most of the people are who take those tests so they can write LV as a consultant.

I always liked hearing about peoples applications. What NI hardware do you use most often.

I've been writing LabView apps for Fortune 500 companies for almost 15 years. I don't use too much NI hardware. I have done a fair amount of work with the PXI chassis, using the scope and ARB's. Most of my work utilizes Agilent hardware with Tek scopes. A lot of what I do is controlling test equipment I custom design and build for the customer. For instance I built a 4000 watt network analyzer that worked at 162 mhz. It seems every job is to test something that doesn't fit the norm and needs specialized hardare.

I also write apps in VEE, Visual Studio.net, VB, C++, and even firmware.

Back