• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever suffer workers comp injury??

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Venting: Long story short i busted my knee working for a big tree co. 2 years and 2 surgerys later, i suffer chronic severe pain waking me from sleep, preventing me from running, jumping, kneeling etc etc...and somehow the doc only gave me a 5% disability rating...which if you have been through this...isn't worth much. Anyone have any experience in this field?

hell i got that pulling my back out picking up a tee marker at work, I would go back through your workers comp paperwork and see if you can get re-evaluated if you can prove long term sufferring from it.

I didn't get any additional rating when i took a golf ball to the head this summer so maybe it's just the dr's discretion?

doug

Venting: Long story short i busted my knee working for a big tree co. 2 years and 2 surgerys later, i suffer chronic severe pain waking me from sleep, preventing me from running, jumping, kneeling etc etc...and somehow the doc only gave me a 5% disability rating...which if you have been through this...isn't worth much. Anyone have any experience in this field?

Give me till tommorow, my wife is a personal injury attorney, Ill let her read this, get back to you.

Things vary from state to state with WC. Here in Colorado, the disability rating is based solely on range of motion. If you can move it you don't get paid. I ruptured an Achilles Tendon and had it operated on. In therapy it ruptured again. I get around with a knee scooter. I can stand and flex it. It hurts like hell and I can't walk more than a minute or two on it, but since when I'm not weight bearing, I can flex it, I qualify for no rating at all. They don't care if you can't do your job. They don't care if you can't walk. They only care if you can flex the joint.

^ That's not quite true.
After I destroyed my ankle on a job site, I got a 1% rating for the loss of feeling in part of my foot (between base of little toe and ankle) as a result of the re-con surgery. The foot still moves/functions, it's just permanently numb in that one spot (not really part of a joint).

is it a big company with orange trucks beginning in A ending in H?? my son got badly injured 10 years ago. his faulty safety equipment went missing from the hospital after his foreman came in. Get an Attorney, if they are not insured through your state and they are private. it will be tough, good luck

^ That's not quite true.
After I destroyed my ankle on a job site, I got a 1% rating for the loss of feeling in part of my foot (between base of little toe and ankle) as a result of the re-con surgery. The foot still moves/functions, it's just permanently numb in that one spot (not really part of a joint).

How much did that 1% get you? $50???

I just went through this with a screwed up wrist with two surgeries. They give no allowance for pain. I didn't have any numbness, wish I had. It would be preferrable to the pain.

Damn, I got a 20% rating on an upper extremity and only got $8k

When did the injury happen? & my ol lady says you need a workers comp attorney asap, should be at no cost to you.

Injury happened back in oct. of 08, got a workers comp attorney immediately. He's the one that says there is not much i can do about the low rating. I have been to three different doctors since then, had two separate surgery's, both resulting in 6 months of therapy to only end at the same pain i've had dead center in my knee cap whenever i put my body weight on it.

is it a big company with orange trucks beginning in A ending in H??

Haha, i know exactly which company you speak of. Sorry to hear about your son's injury. Happens all too often in this line of work. A lot of the guys i worked with came from that company actually b/c of how bad it supposedly was. I worked for the other big one with white trucks.

Injury happened back in oct. of 08, got a workers comp attorney immediately. He's the one that says there is not much i can do about the low rating. I have been to three different doctors since then, had two separate surgery's, both resulting in 6 months of therapy to only end at the same pain i've had dead center in my knee cap whenever i put my body weight on it.

So my ol lady doesn't know CT law, because we don't have the same percentage rating for disability in PA. She recommends first and foremost that you speak to you lawyer & ask that if you can get another medical opinion. If that doesn't get you where you want, you are more than entitled to seek an alternate lawyer who may be able to help you with a second opinion in your options. If you feel like you are misclassified try not to give up & seek alternate opinions.

you are more than entitled to seek an alternate lawyer who may be able to help you with a second opinion in your options.

Ive been considering that for months now as my lawyer has been less than helpful. The only thing that has been holding me back is how does the payment thing work...if i chose to bail on my lawyer now and get a different one do i have to pay him up front out of my pocket?

If your lawyer is on a contingent fee basis (as it is in PA for any personal injury or workers comp cases) then it is not your problem. If you get a new lawyer, the old lawyer and new lawyer usually split the fee among themselves but that does not affect you. Another words usually for workers comp cases, your lawyer takes 20% of what they recover for you so you are not directly paying them out of pocket - if you are not paying your lawyer now out of pocket, you will not have to pay a new lawyer out of pocket. Any consultation with a new lawyer will advise of the fees, etc if they don't you point blank ask them.

I'm going to look into this on the CT end monday morning. I'll also get in touch w/ the doc to find out how the hell he can justify only a 5% rating. Thanks for the good info! I'll update when i do or don't make some progress.

Back