• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone ever do this?

wingnutooa

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1861210175887&set=a.1836749884395.108929.1409933511&theater

facebook has apparently changed the way they do things and i can't copy an image URL anymore.

i now officially have no use for facebook anymore.

anyways hopefully the above link will take you to the picture.

my brother is cashing in his "free locker" card and sent me a set of spiders for my d44.

i've welded 4 spots on each side gear and ground them down so that the two smaller gears will still mesh but the welds keep it from moving.

this enables me to have welded spiders but still install/remove them whenever i want.

aside from the people that are going to tell me not to weld my spiders, is there anyone that thinks this is a poor way to do it? will it be significantly weaker than welding the shit out of it.

and if it really bothers you that much that i've welded my spider gears, you could always send me an OX Locker and i'll install it to put your mind at ease.
:D :D :D :cheers: :party: :cheers: :D :D :D

sheesh.... now it works...

168960_1861210175887_1409933511_2149371_8180010_n.jpg

yeah, that's known as a 'fozzy locker'.
i'd say that just welding the gears together would be better. the fozzy locker will allow for some play, and when the welds/tires finally catch, it'll grenade. i've seen it a couple times at wooly's. it's a good idea, but probably a better idea with stock tires and rockwells, then it would probably still break. it's one of those sounds good on paper, but is doomed by physics kind of things. it's worth tryingas an experiment, but i would definitely make sure you had some extra spider gears, some brake cleaner, some gear oil and some RTV handy so you can get all the bits out of your diff for the trip home.

Seems like the fact that it'll have play in it would push the gears apart and crack the carrier fairly quickly... You are using this in the back, correct? lol

Grenaded a rear like this. It allows too much slop in rear. The movement will just crush the welds or crack them. Then you start getting into big problems. The money time and effort you waste doing it like that you coulda just bought a locker :D

yeah dont do that..... just weld the crap out of it... fill it up with some bolts and stuff to strengthen it and run it that way.

hate to ruin a carrier but i guess its the best thing.

dont really have money to buy a mini spool.

we're putting some money down on a ring at a pawn shop tomorrow....or i guess it would be later today since its almost 2am

and there wont be any slop in the gears.

i had to grind them down to get them to fit perfectly. its a really tight fit when i put it in the carrier.

Everyone can come to the Crawl in Harlan and get hitched.

speaking of big rock!

180884_1863094622997_1409933511_2153585_3423150_n.jpg

it took us a while to find the right one, and its still at the pawn shop till we get it paid off but should only take a month or two.

Back