• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody wrenchin at an apartment complex?

Try living in the barracks on a military base. I helped a buddy of mine put a new 258 in his CJ. We build the engine in his room and we had to put it in in the middle of the parking lot right out front. Everyday we was out there working on it a tow truck would drive by real slow, like he was waiting for us to leave.

hoytinak said:
Try living in the barracks on a military base. I helped a buddy of mine put a new 258 in his CJ. We build the engine in his room and we had to put it in in the middle of the parking lot right out front. Everyday we was out there working on it a tow truck would drive by real slow, like he was waiting for us to leave.

I failed a room inspection because I had more books than would fit on the bx-issued bookshelf, and you guys managed to build an ENGINE?!?

So glad those days are behind me, home ownership is a very nice thing. (So long as you can avoid those damn homeowner's associations. Friggin suburb nazis, more like)

Robert

Yeah, apt. life can suck when you're trying to wrench on your car.

It's hard to take your time and do things right when you're exposed to the elements or getting dirty looks. :D

It certainly helps to have your own garage.
My roommate and I share a 2-stall garage at our apt., and I had my T/A on jackstands for 6 months...lol...so there was never an issue with anybody seeing it.

I'll be doing the same with my XJ soon.

---------------
Black '94 XJ...the dependable daily driver
stock...for now
Black '94 T/A...stock? Ok sure!

Yeah barracks rules are way different these days.

Anyway, I found this thread oddly enough while searching for a way to legally dispose of oil/fluids. The car I had before the XJ was something I let the dealer do all service on.

Now with the XJ, I want to do all the fluids, and I just regeared, so I need to change gear juice.

I remember a long time ago seeing these catch boxes with dry sweep in them, but haven't been able to find them. I suppose you'd have to take them somewhere for disposal? Back home we just poured used fluids in a big drum and soaked fence posts in them. Anyway.

To chime in, in my "upscale" apartment garage, a lady first honked her benzo horn at me when I was under the jeep starting to remove the bumper. Then I guess she's the one who told on me. My solution -- I'm going to try it anyway -- is to drive the XJ to the top of the garage (roof) where no residents ever go. Plus I'm pretty tight with the maintenance guys, so if someone reports me, they'll blow it off and tell me later.

The cops at my school really could care less. I've replaced alternators, locker in my rear diff, oil changes, and stripped down my 8.8 the day I brought it back from the junkyard. Only thing they ever said was, "Whatcha doin there?" I told them, they looked impressed and left.

I live at an apartment.. fortunately my pops is a gearhead too so I just take it up the road a ways and work on it there. saves me the rotten looks and angry complex employees...

Fortunately I am the IT guy for the company that owns the complex.. so all I gotta do it remind them how often I'm there at 7PM to solve all their issues before I go workout or play pool..... and all is well..

I don't see how they could theoretically do a thing about it short of having it towed while youre not looking... get you a ticket.. etc..

$100/mo for this gem, a little crowded but I'm in the process of an axle swap/new front suspension right now. The maintenance guy lives right across the way from the garage and is always heckling me while he's grilling out drinkin a beer to get the jeep done cause he wants to see the finished product. No one has ever said anything to me about workin on my junk, I've had the bike and the jeep both tore apart in there with the door open and no complaints :D

DSC01102.JPG

Its alright, but I'm buying a house in August, no sense in throwing money down the drain on a stupid apartment just cause its close to work.

wescam said:
Anyway, I found this thread oddly enough while searching for a way to legally dispose of oil/fluids. I suppose you'd have to take them somewhere for disposal?

Don't you live near an Autozone? That's about the only reason I go to Autozone anymore, to recycle fluids.

Citat3962 said:
I don't see how they could theoretically do a thing about it short of having it towed while youre not looking... get you a ticket.. etc..

Depends on your lease, and how pissy management wants to get with you. If it's in the lease that no vehicular maintenance be performed, you can probably be evicted. After a long fight for sure. They can also refuse to write a new lease which also means you're gone.

olivedrabcj7 said:
this crap sucks! if i even pop the hood on my jeep, the maintenence dude hops on his little gas powered golf car and zips over to tell me that "this is an apartment complex, not a garage".....what a bastard. im thinking about moving my jeep to the back of the apartment complex out of sight of the main building so i can work on my junk. i may just put it up on jackstands and do my whole lift there one weekend. not much they could say once the suspension is torn out from underneath it. anybody else dealing with this??

Hmmm how about laying a couple deadline gigs on that golf cart (and the next one) maybe he'd be too lazy to walk?

ive changed the water pump in the dorm parking lot - spilled a little green fluid - but all was well. no one seemed to care...
most times i go to Ben's house for workin on the jeep

wescam said:
Anyway, I found this thread oddly enough while searching for a way to legally dispose of oil/fluids. The car I had before the XJ was something I let the dealer do all service on.
I just use the same oil changing pan that I use for engine oil. It's about the size of a 5-gallon can, but with a recess on one side that has two screw-in plugs. Theoretically you can fill the pan, close those up and take it to Autozone/Checkers for free recycling. I usually pour it out the top into old 1-gallon plastic juice or milk bottles.

Back