• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any reason this would happen

jonathanlo

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't been wheeling in quite a while. I went to change my Tcase fluid and I found this! lol. My ride is stock with a RE 3.5" lift. the boot is effed up cuz it was laying on my exhaust.

Strut.jpg

Looks like the shock was too short and their was no limiting strap.

hahah Nice. I didn't know I needed a limiting strap for such a short lift. I mean I don't even rod harder than I did with the stock setup. Hopefully RE will send me a new one.

You can see that the loop at the top of the shock is forced open. That can only help if the shock was too short. Why would they replace a shock that was broken due to negligence? Not knowing doesn't make it somebody elses responsibility.

It was the shock that came with the kit. Nowhere in their specs and info did it say that I would need limiting straps. It had everything else I needed, ie shims and SYE. If they sent me a shock that was too short, then it happened due to their lack of information.

it's not rubicon express's fault, they'd be chumps to send you a new shock, as you obviously abused it.

when you lift a vehicle, ITS YOUR JOB to make sure everythings cool, does rubicon express torque bolts down for you? what about test drive it? no, thats your job!

Wow. You guys are pretty rough. Trust me. I don't abuse my vehicle. It's the only one I have. I drive it from home to work and back. Everything was cool so far as I was concerned. I let the axle hang before I put the shocks on to make sure they had enough travel. I'm just wondering how the hell it happened when the only 'off-road' I've done is at most a bumpy dirt road. This happened in the last week, which is why I don't know why it happened. I haven't done shit in the last week. I would have expected this coming down the Alcan but not from freeway driving or pulling up into my driveway.

Based on your comments sounds like it is the passenger side rear? What is up with the exhaust? I have had issues there too. Mine didn't come with the boot, but I had rear shock damage with the stock exhaust on my 91.

Is the big issue the torn upper mount, or did you do that taking it off, or....?

Ben

Looks like they didn't weld it up..No biggie, just get a rod and hammer it around the rod re-weld..Insert new bushing an your done..Shocks break from just to much flex..I don't have a strap on mine and never broke one yet..

Back