• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any Beretta fans in the house?

I'll probably be in the market Janurary. I want to put my hands on a Sig P226R Crimson Trace .40 and see what that does for me.

226R-CT-left.jpg

i love my glock 22 .40 cal, simple, easy to clean and alot of fun to shoot at night with my surefire X200 tac light

planefixer said:
Next up will be a Kimber Tactical Custom II in .45

Just got one of these in the house last month for ccw, it goes everywhere now.
large_procarryhd2.jpg

got USMC grips and tritium 3 dot, ambi safety and mag release, all in all a nice setup.

To the CCW group..

Wht would you carry a single-action auto for carry? I would think a double-action or combo would be a better choice. I never did like the idea of carry with the hammer back, but that is just me.

Rev

Rev Den said:
To the CCW group..

Wht would you carry a single-action auto for carry? I would think a double-action or combo would be a better choice. I never did like the idea of carry with the hammer back, but that is just me.

Rev

That IS just you. :) There's nothing wrong with it, that's just how they happen to be made. Even with a DA/SA combo I still carry in Condition One because there's consistency in trigger pull from shot to shot.

I have a 96 FS stainless model which is the .40 version. Over 1000 rounds through it and not one misfeed or misfire and the trigger breaks like glass. Excellent quality, not clunky like the glocks. Simple disassembly and cleaning, a solid double action auto IMO.

Personally I like a firearm that is solid and doesn't rattle like a box of loose parts when shaken. Having said that I am also partial to the Hk USP .40,
My wife loves her Bersa thunder .380, but it's too small for my hand and bruises the web on recoil. I didn't notice at first because it was so light and accurate, but after 100 rounds or so it was pop, ow, pop, ow, pop OW what the hell? had a nice little square bruise.

Here is my CCW.
9adc9895.jpg

Next one will be a Tomcat, just like Rev. My father has carried a Tomcat(when he isnt carrying his Kimber) for several years now and is extremely pleased.

Fergie

LOL..I thought you meant the car...my buddy used to love those things especially when they came out with the GTP model.

Rev Den said:
You need that many in 9mm.
:D

Since we are into the "My next gun" phase of this thread......

229L.jpg

In .480 Ruger.

Rev

that is a near copy of an idea I had back when Ruger first came out with the Super Redhawk... bob the barrel flush with the shroud, install fixed 3 dot trijicons or meprolite sights, trim the hammer back, 'melt' all the edges... big-bore carry gun.

I had a 5.5" old-school Redhawk .44 and it was a fine piece, just a bit big for concealed carry... I did carry it though, in a cross-draw hi-ride Bianchi leather. Worked good with a jacket or vest... not as handy as a small-frame 5-shot though.

woody said:
that is a near copy of an idea I had back when Ruger first came out with the Super Redhawk... bob the barrel flush with the shroud, install fixed 3 dot trijicons or meprolite sights, trim the hammer back, 'melt' all the edges... big-bore carry gun.

I had a 5.5" old-school Redhawk .44 and it was a fine piece, just a bit big for concealed carry... I did carry it though, in a cross-draw hi-ride Bianchi leather. Worked good with a jacket or vest... not as handy as a small-frame 5-shot though.

They've got the Super Redhawk available w/ the bobbed barrel. The Alaskan model. .454 Casull. Mean pistol.

I had a Beretta 92. It was identical the M-9 i had to qualify with in the air force. I think that's why i bought it originally. I've shot several different handguns (some are H&K USP .40+.45, 92FS, Glock .45, XD-40, Sig .40.. a 226 i think). Looking back on it, i'm not that impressed with the Beretta 92...that's not even getting into the limited stopping power of the 9mm round.

In terms of accuracy the Glock was the best, the XD best for ergonomics, and the USP .40 was my all around favorite.

If you are concerned with the price of the Beretta 92, check out the Taurus 92/99 series. They look very similar to the Beretta, except the safety is mounted on the frame instead of the slide, and they shoot pretty well. Taurus has pretty good customer service too, if you ever had a problem with it.

My personal choice is a full size (Government model) 1911 .45; recoil is a lot lower than most of the "plastic" pistols that I've owned, such as the XD 9mm and a Glock 23 .40 cal. I like the Glock for it's simplicity but it is a more difficult gun for a beginner to shoot well than the 1911 or the Beretta.

The Sig's are great too, and you can often find them for good deals as police trade-in's (when a police department upgrades their guns they sometimes sell the old ones back to a gun shop like the one I worked for). I have noticed that the Sig's have a bit more muzzle flip than the 1911, with the same loads. I think this is because the Sig sets the barrel higher up from your hand, applying more torque to your wrist.

From my experience, I advise you to buy a pistol that is both comfortable to hold and shoot for your first gun. If it's uncomfortable or hard to control, it will be much harder to learn to shoot well. The Beretta 9mm is a good choice for those reasons; a Taurus 9mm or a full size 1911 .45 would also be good choices.

BTW I don't like the poor stopping power of the 9mm, but it is easier for a beginner to shoot than a .40, which has more power but also more "snap" to it.

You know you're a car nut from Canada when you think of this Beretta
beretta.jpg
before the gun

Back