• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amc V-8: Mj

Looking good. I knew the flexplate was going to be a hassle, when I was sizing things up for the 360 to go in my XJ, I made the same realizations. So I have the TH400 in there instead of the AW4. Looks like it fits nice...I can't wait to shoehorn mine in.

Finally..all the electronics are in place and working correctly. After two weeks of driving around with a zip tie on the AW4's TPS at about 1/3 throttle, I found a way to put a Renix 4.0 auto TPS on the Holley Commander throttle body.

It still needs the dual exhaust put on, rear gears, tires, and make the spaghetti-like mess of wires into something presentable.

It's quite fun to drive.

That is going to be sick! I have a stock 401 in my 78 cherokee with 35s and it has good power. That will be one helluva ride when your done!
Things like this put a smile on my face!

JJacobs said:
Finally..all the electronics are in place and working correctly. After two weeks of driving around with a zip tie on the AW4's TPS at about 1/3 throttle, I found a way to put a Renix 4.0 auto TPS on the Holley Commander throttle body.

Yo! Yo!

Document this please! :)

r@m

Well, the TPS bolts right up. The arrangement is different though. On the 4.0 the arm is pulled along by a lever. On the Commander system things work out so that the spring internal to the TPS pushes the arm along following the throttle lever.

Now when I drove it, nothing good happened.. both computers saw WOT at idle. Fixing that was as simple as reversing the power and ground leads to turn the resistors over in effect.

Both computers are using their internally generated reference voltage. The Commander is 5.5V, the AW4 TCU is 5V.

No vids yet.. I'm still running a rigged up exhaust on it w/ 3psi backpressure at the 02 hole. Fixing that this week followed by some dyno tuning, then I'll look for a vidcam.

Hmm, speaking of which I do have a 1977 Cherokee with a 401 in it that I'm restoring, I rescued it from a salvage yard alls it needed was gas and some tweaking and she runs smooth with only a slight ticking at the pass. side around the valve cover area (probably loose lifter or somethin'), I'm also hearing from lots people that the 401 is a very good engine just that the rebuild parts are little pricey.

I'm in the midst of a cam swap. Should fire it up tomorrow night and try to get it back to the chassis dyno a few days later.

I had it dyno tuned with the efi and old cam a few weeks ago, 260hp/355tq at the wheels, so figure 325/445 at the crank. I'm hoping the new cam brings it over 300 rwhp. I found out I had the old cam installed advanced by mistake which may help explain the high tq/ low hp.

Cool stuff. Looking forward to seeing the results.

JJacobs said:
I'm in the midst of a cam swap. Should fire it up tomorrow night and try to get it back to the chassis dyno a few days later.

I had it dyno tuned with the efi and old cam a few weeks ago, 260hp/355tq at the wheels, so figure 325/445 at the crank. I'm hoping the new cam brings it over 300 rwhp. I found out I had the old cam installed advanced by mistake which may help explain the high tq/ low hp.

Actually your not too far off rom stock: A stock AMC 401 was rated 215 HP@4400 and 320@2800. One thing I know is that the AMC v8's are pretty torqey engines. http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/amc401.html
so a high torque low hp is not uncommon. its to be expected with a compression of 8.35 to 1

I'd say an increase of 110hp/ 125tq is a good jump from stock.

Now I'm fighting the EFI again, the new cam makes 5 inches of vacuum, so the entire map is being redone, slooowly.

The cam I got might not have been the best choice for me. It's a Comp Magnum 292H. The engine has enough compression to run it at 10.8:1, the intake etc is all there, it's really running well and I'm looking forward to a large bump at the rear wheels. Problem is this is more of a Saturday night special type cam, it rattles windows and sounds like a drag car. I think that's from the LSA being 110 degrees. Might have to put another set of resonators in the tailpipes or something.

Latest update.

Click here to watch MOV000152324

That's my MJ beating a Z06 Vette at Bandimere. My best run was a 12.93, which works out to about 11.95 at sea level. This was with nitrous, through the mufflers, on BFG drag radials. And the AW4 still works!

oh, the Vette ran a 14.3, my ET was 13.04. :)

Last edited:
Do you have any pix/ drawing s of the motor mounts? The pix that are posted show extremely little of the mounts. I would like to do this with my '88 limited, since I have a fresh rebuilt 304 and several trannies to choose from. Thanks in advance, Ren

I'm tired of filling nitrous bottles. It's going turbo over the winter.

I'll try and snap a pic or two of the motor mount arrangement. You can see some of it in the pics, it's two tabs off the plated uniframe per side, then YJ spring bushings coming off of tube welded to a plate on the block.

ROBZ95Xj said:
Woohoo at least someone thinks like me and dos'nt go the easy way and put a POS rat under the hood. Jeeps should be powered by Jeep motors end of story.

I second that statement

Back