• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Am i building this jeep wrong

cobrasatellite

NAXJA Forum User
current project jeep is a 88. It has a 6in lift with 34x10.5r15 with bead locks. It has a D30 with 4.10 and a locker. The rear is a D35 with 4.10 and a locker... thats an explosion waitin to happen. The roof is comin off and a full cage goin on. I have a 98 8.25 or a 93 8.25 to go in it. I got a set of 4.56 gears top go in the 8.25 and and D35. I figured the gears will make a huge differance. My queston is am i wastin time with a 8.25? all the stuff on here seams to say they not worth it but lots of guys seem to be running them. I dont have the axle experiance or weldin skills to modify an 8.8 and cant find a 44 what should i do?

If you have it, that makes a big difference. I'd run it. Jeeps are never done anyway. I bet you could get a lot of wheeling out of it, while looking for an 8.8 or D44. Then once you find it you could plan & build it. When it's done swap it in.

With 34's I bet you'll be fine with the later model higher spline count 8.25. There's prolly somebody near you that could help you install a 8.8 if you wanted to go that route I'm sure.

I've been beating the crap out of my 29 spline 8.25 on 36's for a year now, with absolutely zero problems.

The 29 spline 8.25 should be on par with the 8.8 when it co
es to strength.

Well in this case, he's looking for a budget upgrade that doesn't require any kind of fab to fit (like the 8.8). You can get up to 4.88 gears, lockers, covers, and alloy shafts for the 8.25. Granted, the lockers are a little bit more expensive than 8.8 gear, but you'll probably have less in switching the stock 8.25 in.

For me, i already have a 8.25 29 spline so its a no-brainer. Corsicana guy will have to figure it out for himself, but the 8.25 is not a bad axle.

but not clearance

you can help with clearace issues by relocating the lower shock mounts to the center of the axle on the 8.25, after that the pumpkins should be around the same height. i think the reason that 90% of the people swap to an 8.8 isnt for strength but because it will convert your brakes from drum to disc.

That is one true defined perk, but if you have the time and know how, you can put discs on a 8.25. Me personally, I just replaced my shoes but pulled a little trick. I bought two sets and only used the long shoes for both sides instead of one short and one long. If you look at your factory shoes, you'll see what I'm saying. It stops a little better I'm pretty sure.

Thanks for added nfo i dont mind havin to do faw work for mine but this is not my jeep. Im should be pickin up some 4.56 gears for the 8.25 (40 bucks) The guy im building it for is not tech savy so i dont wana do a major custom axle. No tellin who will be workin on it next. I think im just gonna beaf the 8.25 thanks for the info guys.

I put a Teraflex Disc conversion on mine (mainly because I was too lazy to go dig around the junkyards). I sent them an email asking about replacement parts here's what I got back:

1998 Ford explorer rear for the calipers, pads, and e-brake shoes
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon rear for the rotors

Back