• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alaska to Ohio and ready to wheel

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
Hi All,
Got an invite from an old friend, JR (Extankerguy) to post up and say hi. I've been around NAXJA for a long time. I've been an XJ guy for about 13 years. I'm in the Air Force and I'm moving from Anchorage Alaska to Dayton Ohio in December.

About Me...
I'm 37, married, father of twin 12yr old boys and a baby girl to about to be born any day now. I've been active duty Air Force for over 18 years. JR and I were some of the founding members for the Texoma Off Road Club in North Texas years ago. I've wheeled all over the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii) and in Turkey. Born and raised in Ohio and plan to retire somewhere out that way here in a few years.

My XJ....
Where do I begin... I call it my Grand Comanche.

Started life as a grey 88, 4.0, AW4, 231, no tires, lots of oil leaks, no exhaust 4door that I bought in Dallas for $350.

Now...
94 HO 4.0, 92 AX15, 97 SYE231, 78 Bronco 44/9" locked with home made beadlock 38TSL's, chopped top, Comanche tailgate, Custom...everthing as I build all of my stuff myself instead of buying bolt on. Not bashing, just my preferance. 8274 winch. Lots of battle damage and scars with stories. Many years wheeling this rig. Love it and hate it. Always ready to wheel it.

Anyway, can't wait to meet y'all at an event or on the trail. Love to make friends and serve my community.

KnikGlacier12-18-2010054.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

100_0416_zps0a64f7a3.jpg

100_0415_zpsc9ffcc5b.jpg

How have those axles held up to those tires? I am building a 44/60 on 37s and I hear a bunch of "it'll break" comments.

don't do it.

And don't live in dayton proper, it's basically turned into a giant shithole.

My wife's uncle is civilian IT support @ wright pat.
He lives in Springfield, nice place.
Her grandmothers are both from Middletown.
Also a nice place to live and raise kids, real sleepy rural town.
Both are about an hour from the base.

Lots of ohio members, but unfortunately not too much wheeling in OH. You won't be far from the badlands though, about 3 hours or so probably. Maybe 4.

How have those axles held up to those tires? I am building a 44/60 on 37s and I hear a bunch of "it'll break" comments.

Lots of naysayers out there but I've enjoyed having them. The 44 didn't hold up well with the locker till I got chromolly axleshafts. The 9" works perfectly. I'm very happy with them and have used them hard.

We bought a house in Miamisburg, just south of Dayton. Very happy with the neighborhood and the house. Looking forward to the next part of our life.

Last edited:
You could go to Dirty Turtle Offroad. It is south of Cincinnati and maybe a 2 hr drive tops for you. We could meet up sometime.

Welcome back to the lower 48! I don't remember if you were still at Sheppard when I started up with TORC but I do remember seeing your name on the site!

The 2 rigs I have seen have major issues with the 44 and big tires were both manual trannys.

Welcome back to the lower 48! I don't remember if you were still at Sheppard when I started up with TORC but I do remember seeing your name on the site!

I left in November of 07 just after I got back from Iraq. I think we've talked on the TORC boards years back

The 2 rigs I have seen have major issues with the 44 and big tires were both manual trannys.

IMO it's how you wheel. I pick good lines and stay out of the throttle. I let the gears do the crawling. Love me some 5.38's

You all are making me feel better about my build.

IMO it's how you wheel. I pick good lines and stay out of the throttle. I let the gears do the crawling. Love me some 5.38's

I had the gears, that was part of the problem (something like 150:1), turned a yukon alloy into about 40pcs. The manual tranny is much harder on parts.

Back