• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ's vs. JCR rockrails

Im now debating the same options; AJ's JCR or Protofab. I like the fact that JCR's rails are 3x2 but I also like the way Protofab's look and are setup. AJ's has multiple good testimonys sayign great things so this is a tough decision. JCR's are $30 more than AJ's and Protofab's are $300 w/o shipping I believe. I have the RK 3 link longarms and I have to make the rails I buy work with the longarm mounts. JCR provides an option for the RK mounts already so I might have to go with them. Has anyone taken into account frame stiffeners?

Re: Aj's vs. JCR rockrails

I have JCR Offroad super rails on one XJ and am ordering a second set for new XJ i'm building now. I have beat them senseless and I'm sold on AJ's rails.

Man, I screwed up on that post. I meant to say I have AJ's SuperRails on one XJ and am ordering a set for the other XJ.

AJ is a great guy to work with. He'll bend over backwards to help you out and make sure you get what you want.

Kids, make sure you proof read your crap before hitting the Submit Reply button.

I have AJ's superrails and they've saved me numerous times. The outer rail is dented in a few spots, but my Jeep sure isn't. I could careless what they look like and how banged up they are as long as they still protect the Jeep. I guarantee one of the dents in my rails is from a rock that probably would have gone right through my passenger door. I hit it hard.

AJ's recently upgraded his outer tubes on the superrails to thicker material, so you should be fine. He even sells the tube precut for guys that already have them to retrofit.

Here are my pics.

IMG_3604.jpg

4-28-09026.jpg

4-28-09029.jpg

OK. I CHECKED OUT THE ROCKLIZARD SITE AND HERES THERE SPECS.

specs for rocklizard:

• 2x2x3/16" with 45* angled ends for Slider Rails
  • 2x1x1/8" tubing for the four triangulated unibody mounting arms
  • Pinch seam mount with (7) 5/16" bolts per side
  • round 1.75" x .120 wall outer tube
What i like about them:
: They look to be very strong. and the extra triangulation seems to be a great protection for side impacts.
And they dont seem to be too off the wall when compared to AJ's or JCR's designs

What i dont like about them:
: "2x1x1/8 tubing for the four triangulated unibody mounting arms"

Weight is not an issue for me, but i like strength. even though the extra metal might help make up for the thin walled steel, id perfer 3/16th
Oh and the price tag doesnt agree with my College student budget.

Dude.......... I have abused these things... SERIOUSLY!!! The only damage is the scratched paint!!! JCR or AJ's are going to make you smile, which ever you choose!! I just saw your post and thought you would like to see another awesome product!! You get what you pay for and you should only do it once!! :peace:

It looks like Rock Lizard has moved on to doing Liberty parts now instead of XJ.

I've abused my AJs Superrails and they don't show it. They've taken some hits that would have gone through the rocker panel and a few inches into the door without a problem. In fact, I intentionally pick stupid lines so my rockers will slam onto rocks if there are newbies around. It's kinda fun watching them jump and/or wince when they hear it. The square tube has a couple light scratches on it that paint covers up nicely. Same for the round tube, but I've somehow got a dent in the round tube when it spent a week at a shop for some front-end collision work. As a note, they said they tied off to the rails when they were using a frame-straightener. I think that says something about the strength of the rails (and the intelligence of the guys at the shop).

A buddy of mine has the JCR rails, I think they're equal in strength.

It looks like Rock Lizard has moved on to doing Liberty parts now instead of XJ.

Not true, they will make whatever you want for your XJ!! From their www......... READ IT!!
We are excited to announce that after the reorganization, we will have an inventory built up of all products so there will no longer be long lead times on delivery. We are working on finishing up our KJ Liberty product line to include our new front bumpers, belly skids, and a few other neat products, our most anticipated being the "Godzilla" Solid Front Axle (SFA) conversion kit. We have also started working on our new KK Liberty products, such as our skink sliders which are already ready for production, replacement heavy duty roof rails, sport racks and basket racks that will be ready Spring '09, and our front and rear bumpers later in 2009. We will also be working on skids plates, and of course the "Godzilla" SFA kit for the KK. And due to all of the overwhelming requests, we have also decided to bring back our popular Cherokee product line with some improvements to old designs and some new additions.
Please email us if you would like to place an order and we will give you the details specific to your order.
For shipping quotes, please send us an email with what you are interested in and where it would be going, including zip code.
If you have any questions, please email us at:
[email protected]

Last edited:
Not true, they will make whatever you want for your XJ!! From their www......... READ IT!!
We are excited to announce that after the reorganization, we will have an inventory built up of all products so there will no longer be long lead times on delivery. We are working on finishing up our KJ Liberty product line to include our new front bumpers, belly skids, and a few other neat products, our most anticipated being the "Godzilla" Solid Front Axle (SFA) conversion kit. We have also started working on our new KK Liberty products, such as our skink sliders which are already ready for production, replacement heavy duty roof rails, sport racks and basket racks that will be ready Spring '09, and our front and rear bumpers later in 2009. We will also be working on skids plates, and of course the "Godzilla" SFA kit for the KK. And due to all of the overwhelming requests, we have also decided to bring back our popular Cherokee product line with some improvements to old designs and some new additions.
Please email us if you would like to place an order and we will give you the detailsspecific to your order.
For shipping quotes, please send us an email with what you are interested in and where it would be going, including zip code.
If you have any questions, please email us at:
[email protected]
ok. i stand corrected. so i was looking over the warn sliders today in my quadratec catalog. do they just mount to the pinch seem?

Fair enough heck I would build you some if I could compete with the off the shelf prices. I really liked the JCRs but my homemade ones look more like AJ's after I got done. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them but I did want mine to fit tight to the body so that one more thing you might want to look at.

Fair enough heck I would build you some if I could compete with the off the shelf prices. I really liked the JCRs but my homemade ones look more like AJ's after I got done. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them but I did want mine to fit tight to the body so that one more thing you might want to look at.

im deffinetly worried on that one. a step is nice, but i want something thats high and tight.

im deffinetly worried on that one. a step is nice, but i want something thats high and tight.

My AJ's rails are probably less than a 1/4" from the rocker panel down the length of the Jeep. Definitely high and tight. The only thing the outer rails do is protect the doors and stuff when you slide or fall sideways. They work great for pivoting around rocks and stuff too. I used mine to bounce myself off of a bank once and get up a hill. I'm talking bounce hard like I backed up about 10 feet and gunned it, hit the outer rail on a hill to kick me sideways and get traction on a side hill.

At first I didn't like the whole outer rail idea, but they were on sale when I bought them. Definitely would regret not getting the superrails if I hadn't.

With a 4.5" lift and me at about 5'11", I think they are too high to be used at steps anyway.

I am honestly surprised that AJ or JCR has not come on here and chimed in!

AJ's for the win.

I am honestly surprised that AJ or JCR has not come on here and chimed in!

AJ's for the win.

Their products speak for themselves!:dunno:

I really wouldnt mind if they did chime in. give me some specs that i might not have. maybe offer a discount??? lol

You do get a discount if you are a member! :D That 35 bucks a year pays off quick!

Back