• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air box build

Thanx. Those bolts are stainless as I have a thing against rust. The only thing I don't like is the lid mounting. I am using those quick captured nuts. Not a fan of them but they work for now. I may later get some 1/2" aluminum stock and drill and tap that. Nutserts are an option but I don't want to buy the expensive tool for them.. however I believe you can use a nut and a bolt to seat them. Then again the aluminum angle might not have enough width for them. Or many be some kind of quick release mounting

Have you considered rivnuts?

They can be had a s a kit, tool and all for not much. They install like a pop rivet. I have used them in the industrial world with great success.

Saw this first on the Hesco forum. Beautiful work Silver, you should market these. I'd sure buy one for my 91 MJ w. the K&N. :worship:

newfront2small.jpg

Last edited:
I though about it, but it would be an extremely hard form to replicate and I would have to constantly be taking mine in and out to test fit others. It would only be tested with a Volant intake. Others would fit differently. Also, not many people would pay for an intake then spend more for an airbox.

hey Talyn, how about the performance gain? did you feel any difference from heat shielding the filter as you did. or feeding in outside air? is it worth cutting sheet metal for?

I'm currently considering feeding outside air into the air filter area both to cool and aid performance ( theoretically ).

I checked the area where you opened up behind the headlight, but i don't get it. The headlight is completely blocking the area?? how come u're using it then?

I'm thinking about the area just where the stock the stock air box had its lower bolts, there's just sheet metal there with some holes it it that if opened up can be used to mount a tube that feeds air from some where in the cars front into the air box area. ( RAM air in other words ).

Rule of thumb is 1% more power per 11 degrees temperature drop in the air charge. Best would be to stick a temperature probe in the intake manifold or TB & measure before & after in a temperature-controlled environment (heated / ac garage).

Its not so much of a performance gain that I felt, but it was more of a lack of lost performance when it got hot. I.e. I noticed more power after the engine got hot since I had the box in. I'm also thinking of wrapping the box in one of the head barrier sheets since aluminum does conduct heat.

I have the DEI gold under my manifold. Didn't wrap the whole thing though, but it is sticking. I tried the thermotec stuff in the past and it didn't stick too well... fell off the intake onto the exhaust. If I decide to wrap it I would go with the gold or the lava mat.

Back