• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt-A-Trail Work - June 10 & June 11

I'm about 50/50 for coming at this point. I've had a pinched nerve in my neck for over 2 weeks, if I come it will be for moral support. I'm dying to leave the house, couch is getting old.

Come on out. We can use anybody even if it's to be the Safety Dance Coordinator.

I can bring one Saturday and leave it with you or Geoff.
May not be a bad idea. Thanks Al.

Edited to add: if I'm running late in the morning it's Tom's fault.

I'll be bringing out the grill and burgers with chips for Saturday's lunch.

Sign me up for a meat-free burger substitute, a gluten-free bun, and non-dairy mayo. And baked chips, not fried.

Oh screw it. Burgers and chips sound good!

To make room for the dogs I am not taking the storage rack in the back and I cannot find the bolts to mount the hi-lift to the roof rack so I am anticipating a visit from Murphy and will need to borrow someone's jack.

I'm bringing chips for anyone that doesn't get enough from Geoff.

I had to leave early due to some family obligations so I decided to see how long it would take to get from our campsite to the trail head at Palm. I stopped once to move some rocks, twice to let the dogs go pee, three times to pick up some trash. I also stopped and clipped branches that were easy to reach from inside the Jeep for a while. I left camp at 1030 and was airing up at 1145. I was aired and fueled up and on the freeway by 1215 and made it home by 1330.

I would like to see any pictures taken this weekend. I hope someone got some of driving 2N49 through the cloud on Sunday morning.

On the way up Cleghorn (and no, that hood isn't up on account of any need to fix something. That was so the rest of us could admire the LS under the hood):

June2017AAT2OPT.jpg

Lunch. (Where else are you going to get the president of NAXJA to cook you a burger?)

June2017AAT4OPT.jpg

Another shot of the campsite Saturday evening:

June2017AAT24OPT.jpg

There were kids everywhere, all engaged in some form of mayhem:

June2017AAT28OPT.jpg

More:

June2017AAT35OPT.jpg

The campsite Sunday morning:

June2017AAT37OPT.jpg

I will never cease to be amazed at the creative genius of tent designers:

June2017AAT53OPT.jpg

Just a wee bit of a breeze. And that beautiful canyon shot that lagoober posted is the view you should be seeing in the background. It seemed to have disappeared by Sunday morning:

June2017AAT57OPT.jpg

We finally gave up waiting for the clouds to clear and stopped for lunch:

June2017AAT61OPT.jpg

And the children took over the fire pit. I think there may have been more kids than adults by this point. The smart adults gave up and retreated early. I don't know where the kids got all this firepower and unlimited ammo...

June2017AAT67OPT.jpg

It was a great trip. And even if we camped in a Boeing wind test facility, it was at least drier than everything we wound up driving through.

On the way up Cleghorn (and no, that hood isn't up on account of any need to fix something. That was so the rest of us could admire the LS under the hood):

June2017AAT2OPT.jpg

Well you know there is a general rule that in every group photo of three or more XJs one must have its hood either fully open or at least popped and ready to be open.

Lunch. (Where else are you going to get the president of NAXJA to cook you a burger?)

June2017AAT4OPT.jpg

:laugh3:

It should be noted that sharp eyes will see one 8' awning and one 6' awning deployed. I arranged Charles and I to park such to provide maximum shade. Then everybody set their chairs up in the open area. :roflmao:

I will never cease to be amazed at the creative genius of tent designers:

June2017AAT53OPT.jpg

Yes, another section to repair with 1/2" copper pipe until I can get new poles. I'm also thinking of purchasing fiberglass poles and completely replacing these aluminum POS poles.

Thanks for coming out, Anak!

Yes, another section to repair with 1/2" copper pipe until I can get new poles. I'm also thinking of purchasing fiberglass poles and completely replacing these aluminum POS poles.

:roflmao:

I just bought a new family tent to switch from the fiberglass poles that are splintering. Here I thought the aluminum poles were the good stuff.

I suspect some battles just can't be won.

:roflmao:

I just bought a new family tent to switch from the fiberglass poles that are splintering. Here I thought the aluminum poles were the good stuff.

I suspect some battles just can't be won.

I've never had a problem with the 1/2" fiberglass poles in my Eureka tents. I've also never had a problem with small diameter aluminum poles. I suspect the 1/2" diameter aluminum poles are the issue, in order to be bendable the wall has to be thin enough to easily bend over the limit.

My new tent has DAC 11-13 mm aluminum poles. Probably pretty much the same thing as what you are bending. It will be interesting to see how these new poles hold up.

The previous tent has large diameter fiberglass poles, but it is a Coleman, so that may explain the durability difference in contrast to a Eureka.

nice pics... i wish i had my camera with me because there were a few good potential shots in the fog under the canopy of the trees.

Back