• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99WJ surges and dies

avnsteve

NAXJA Forum User
recently replaced the TV (kickdown) cable, not necessarily related, but now wife and daughter report "its still acting up" I go under the hood, to "listen" it starts fine, idles fine, UNTIL you blip the throttle (by hand at the throttle body) and then the rpms climb over 2k and then casually draw back down to well below normal idle then dies. Have since replaced the IAC controller (valve?) and the throttle position sensor, still does it occassionally, particularly at low rpm, driving or idling, neutral or in gear

originally posted on NA GC A, but there have been no replies, I believe there are enough jeeple here that someone can clue me in

4.7?

Ours was having surging issues on the freeway, it wouldn't stay in over drive.

Ended up being a cracked vacuum hose near the back of the motor, and also a new throttle position sensor.

Clean the throttle body too.

Double check with your local dealership. I had a 2002 WJ and it had the 4.7. There was a recall on the ECM that made it die at idol. The dealership replaced it for free. I hope this will work out for you. Good luck.

I know it's off topic but how do you like your WJ? I've been thinking about selling my current DD and finding a '99 -'01 WJ with the 4.0. I'm just not sure about the 42RE.

Back