• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ rear wiper stopped working??

Heinz

NAXJA Forum User
Of course first day of storms, rear just doesnt work when I hit the dash switch??? I guess I'll check fuses first?

Check fuse of course, but I think that the wiper is on the same fuse with other lighting etc. So if you have no other malfunctions, it's probably not the fuse.

Check the wiring. As far as I know, it run underneath the carpet which is THE place where moisture is trapped, causing the wiring to go bad.

Check your relay and check your ground. Fiberglass hatches ya know.

Mike

If current is reaching the motor and it still doesn't run, stop quickly, including shutting off the ignition, and check if the shaft can turn. The shaft can rust solid, and when this happens the motor, of course, stalls. If you try to run it that way, there's a risk of either burning out the motor or stripping the internal nylon gear. If you're lucky and catch it in time, you can take it out and disassemble it and relube the shaft.

It may also be worth pounding lightly on the motor a couple of times with a rubber mallet to see if it frees up, particularly if it hasn't been used in a while - but what Matthew said above is exactly what I've had to do on a number of cars with rear wipers and low usage on them.

Back