• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 Grand Marquis...

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
...worth owning? My Grandma has one that Grandpa bought new. She drives a newish Chevy Impala these days (Grandpa passed away in '94) that she's happy with, and the Mercury is mostly just sitting. She drives it around the neighborhood once a month or so.
Apart from any issues arising from lack of use, were these cars decently reliable? I know she'd just give it to me, if I asked. I enjoy driving big old American cars with the "boulevard ride," but I also don't want a car I'll be working on every other month. Haven't found anything very informative online about reliablity. It would see DD use, unless the weather was bad enough that I'd need the XJ. Mostly want to avoid the "free car that costs thousands of dollars, and multiple headaches" scenario.

worry about dry rot...if it's been sitting for years and you start driving it daily, your going to (likely) have to drop some coin to fix leaks (fluid and vacuum). Those things have the old school emissions controls so you have all them dry rotted vaccum lines...Also if its a snow belt car pray that its been sitting inside or at least on pavement...all that moisture rots the underside of them.

what engine is in it...the 5.0?
mileage?

That was my first car. Never really had that much problem with it. My grandfather had wrecked it and had it fixed, so the AC leaked slowly and I had to recharge it every spring. Other than that it was reliable, comfortable, and I drove it most places my buddies in high school drove their pickups... lol BTW, mine had the 5.0 in it. It was also funny to see people's brake lights when I went by them (mine was dark gray and I had a CB and scanner in it with the associated antennas), but that was back in the late 90s when KY State Police drove the same model Crown Vics.

It does have the 5.0, and mileage I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure is well under 100K. No fluid leaks (it's always parked in the same spot), surprising as that is, but Grandpa was crazy for preventive maintenance. No rust worries, CO didn't start using de-icer until a few years ago, and Grandma doesn't drive it if the roads aren't dry (garage-kept, too). I am assuming that any rubber emissions/fuel/coolant lines ought to be replaced.

I figure if there wasn't some known major problem (tranny no good, those year engines no good, etc), the car would be a fun, big boat to tool around in.

ya. Mechanical wise they are pretty solid. I haven't experienced too many problems with them. They are good up until about 150k or so...pending on how you drive. But like I had stated, if it has been sitting a while, expect to be replacing some random nickle and dime stuff when you start driving it daily...

get it make it nice and pimp it around town. they are solid cars 5.0 motor aod trans,and the 8.8 rear my shop teacher has one as his daily driver it has over 300k miles and still runs great

Back