• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 AW4 1 st gear is slipping bad now

Not sure anyone makes them new these days. I paid about 160 for a reman from transtar iirc, if you buy from them make sure you ask for extra packing material as I and several others have had converters shipped with no packing at all, just bouncing around in the box. I got lucky and mine was fine, some guy on pirate did not and the pilot snout on his was worn down to a point.

Did you rebuild the AW4, or just swap the TC?

I just swapped the TC. Got a 99 AW4 with 150k on it out of a friend's running, driving totaled jeep, the fluid was still bright red and clear. I really just threw a new TC on it because I figured it was the right time to do it, I was going to reuse the old TC out of it in my MJ when I converted the tranny in it to 4wd and did a full rebuild. Never ended up installing the aw4 though, things kept coming up, so it is sitting in my utility room as a known good spare for the 98.

Back