• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

805 wheeling spots!

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Kinda new to this area. I live in Arroyo Grande and was wondering if there are any good trails around. I know the Dunes (duh!) but was looking for some dirt trails. Nothing crazy or anything as am new to wheelin and till I get my lift I'm riding stock parts but thought I'd ask. I figure if I Cruz up Pozo way I could find something?

Head up to Lopez Lake and just before the entrance take Hi Mountain, good Forest Service road to the Pozzo Saloon. Cuts miles off the freeway route to San Luis and Santa Margarita to get to Pozzo.
At the top of Hi Mountain before you go down to Pozzo you can go west along the ridge to the old Fire Lookout that's been turned into a Condor Observation point, and the road continues about 3 miles past some mining outcrops. To the east of the Hi Mountain ridge junction is a moderate Black Diamond trail into the Garces Wilderness, 5 or 6 miles.
From Pozzo head out La Panza to the Queen Bee Mine and Pine Mountain Loop. You will not make a loop out of it because when you get to the Stair Steps (there are warning signs) you should take a look and head back the way you came.
The Las Chichis trail from La Panza to Turkey Flats is Challenging for a stocker.Where it crosses south of La Panza it goes to the bottom of the Stair Steps of Pine Mountain.
Get a map, watch out for the motorcyclists, and have fun.

Rockfront is off hwy 166. Never been but heard its semi decent. Garcia ridge ("road to pozo" is fun, but you will scratch the f outta your heep.

Rockfront is off hwy 166. Never been but heard its semi decent. Garcia ridge ("road to pozo" is fun, but you will scratch the f outta your heep.

I've been on every trail at Rockfront, all doable with a stocker on street tires.
Garcia Ridge trail branches east off of Hi Mountain at the junction of the westerly Look Out road. Garcia is a dead end, does not go to Pozo, and the bushes do grow into the trail because it is not used as much being a black diamond trail (only in two or three spots) I would not recommend a stocker on it, I don't think one could get a stocker past the "gatekeeper" first climb at the gate, steep, loose, and rocky. Just something to look at and realize mods are in order.

Back