• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 broken

rabbit

NAXJA Forum User
The welds in the 8.8 rear end are ALL broken. Could you please give me ideas on how to fix this without having to put in a locker. Can I re weld welds????????????

Give us more info. Where are the broken welds? How did you break them?

You don't fix anything like this by putting in a locker. Clue us in on the details and maybe we can help.

the welds were used we were just installing the rear end and had to take the backing plates off and had to pull the axles and when we took out the pin and loosened it up in there we saw that they were broken just hair line fractures they barely move but move they do.
thank you for the answers.

It will work, there are no carrier breaks in factory Ford differentials. Just make sure its a 31 spline carrier/side gears
-Ryan

Last edited:
It will only work in 2 wheel drive.

If the gear ratios are different front to rear by more than a few ticks.....like 3.54 and 3.55, you'll have big problems.

A couple of people began to say this but it was not abundantly clear. They (3.55 front and 3.27 rear) will not work together if you choose 4 wheel drive.

John90XJ said:
It will only work in 2 wheel drive.

If the gear ratios are different front to rear by more than a few ticks.....like 3.54 and 3.55, you'll have big problems.

A couple of people began to say this but it was not abundantly clear. They (3.55 front and 3.27 rear) will not work together if you choose 4 wheel drive.

Good catch John, I didnt even realize that was what he was asking. I figured he just meant the carrier. Hopefully he either re-reads this before something grenades or he swaps gears.
-Ryan

I've seen guys run 5.13 in one axle and 4.10s in another - as a trail fix. Granted it was on a trail and he knew what needed to be done, but he made it 3 miles up a trail before he could put it in 2wd again. Rabbit will catch on with the minor chirping/dragging. :)

Last edited:
I was a passenger in a vehicle that had 4.10s in one end and 3.55s in the other. Shifting to 4 wheel drive on the pavement caused a very sudden sideways experience.

I'm not sure how it could even work semi-effectively on the trail.

higher gears in the front dragging the rear and a lot of gas on a very muddy trail. I'd guess the loss of traction aided in not breaking anything. I wasn't riding with him, but he seemed to do alright. I was shocked he made it out without breaking anything. That's a yota for ya ;)

Back