• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6x9's in the door?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj two door.
boss 7200 80wx4 deck(with dvd)

I have 6 1/2 door speakers in now ....they sound ok but wonder how much better it would be if I shoe horned 6x9's in there...anyone care to chime in?
Who has done it?

My friends MJ has 6x9s. Personally im going to put marine 6x9s in mine. They have grills to protect them and are all weather/ trail resistant.

6.5"s in the front doors, 4x6" in the rear doors, and 6x9's In boxes in the rear..

thats my setup

6.5"s in the front doors, 4x6" in the rear doors, and 6x9's In boxes in the rear..

thats my setup

Pictures would be nice.....................:dunno:

6x9s aren't gonna do much better. I'd say get you a good set of 6.5 components. I have Alpine Type-R components all around and it sounds great and has plenty of Bass.

i had pioneer 6x9 5-ways (yes i said 5 ways) in my doors and two more out in the back with 3 10" MTX in a sledgehammer box powered by a 1800 watt bridged and the whole combination sounded absolutely perfect. i would go to say check out millionbuy.com or newegg.com if your lookin for good speakers. gotta say they had the best prices out of everybody. im in the process of transferring the speakers but not the subs to my MJ since my xj went up in flames. need a new head unit though. 6x9s all day!

6x9s aren't gonna do much better. I'd say get you a good set of 6.5 components. I have Alpine Type-R components all around and it sounds great and has plenty of Bass.

Also My Jeep is a 97 so I had to cut the speaker grills out of the door panels and mount them like that since my alpines are too deep.

I always though 6.5s sounded better than 6x9s.

I always though 6.5s sounded better than 6x9s.

Yeah because a round speaker is going to sound better than any other shape. Something to do with the way it transmits the sound waves.

personally i run a kenwood deck, and kicker speakers (rear door speakers are kenwood tho), i love the way kickers sound. a set of kicker DS up front and rear, $130 for both sets total. 4x6's i run in the rear seats dont really add much, just kind of fills in the sound between the front and rear.

Yeah because the shape of the sound waves is uniform in all directions, where as, with a 6x9 they aren't!

I think it has more to do with the rigidity of the cone. Round is uniform and will flex less, and when it does it'll be more evenly distributed. Oval is stiffer along the short axis so the cone will flex more and less evenly, therefore creating distortion.

But having said that they for most setups there're bigger problems to worry about. If you don't have a seperate sub the 6x9s won't have to work as hard to make bass so they may end up sounding better overall. Especially for budget speakers.

I think it has more to do with the rigidity of the cone. Round is uniform and will flex less, and when it does it'll be more evenly distributed. Oval is stiffer along the short axis so the cone will flex more and less evenly, therefore creating distortion.

But having said that they for most setups there're bigger problems to worry about. If you don't have a seperate sub the 6x9s won't have to work as hard to make bass so they may end up sounding better overall. Especially for budget speakers.

Thanks for clearing it up for me! :thumbup:

Here's a pic of my drivers side 6x9 with the cover off (it needs a bit of rtv to stick it on). Trace around a template and cut the metal with snips and there ya go.
03-15-09_1631.jpg

Back