• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" Leaf Spring opinions

Skorpyo

NAXJA Member #241
NAXJA Member
So the XJ could use a new set of leafs and I'm debating between IRO and RE right now. IRO is definitely more affordable and they seem to be better quality with an 8 leaf pack, does anyone have experience or a recommendation? I've also heard, anecdotally, that people got RE leafs when they ordered them from IRO. any ideas? I'd also like to hear recommendations on other brands you like. Thanks!

Tim

Leave it alone it works according to me and Ben

If you go ahead I will just say that I've used 4-1/2" re leafs in the past and they worked well and rode good. That's the most I can add to the conversation based on personal experience.

Take some of the tools out that you haven't needed in the past few years. You guys carry a lot of weight in there. As long as the springs aren't wrapping, I wouldn't be concerned. The flatter the spring the more flex / travel its going to have. Maybe look at doing a shackle relocation from HD Offroad for the rear and an adjustable shackle from Ironman if you haven't done that yet. That will keep the shackle from banging against the rear frame support.

Thanks for the feedback. We did pull everything out of the XJ and the rear is just sitting about 1-1.5" lower than the front and thus the reason I wanted to replace the springs. There are extended shackles installed, though I'd have to take a look as to what type it is.

I was mainly thinking of doing this as I'd like to put on a new rear bumper and that'll bring with it extra weight.

A helper spring might be the way to go to bring up the rear a bit, any recommendations on where to get one and if it's a JY pull any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks!

If you need some shackle relocation brackets. Let me know. I have a pair that I made couple years ago and didn't finish them. Been sitting around since I don't have a XJ to put them in.

Thanks for the feedback. We did pull everything out of the XJ and the rear is just sitting about 1-1.5" lower than the front and thus the reason I wanted to replace the springs. There are extended shackles installed, though I'd have to take a look as to what type it is.

I was mainly thinking of doing this as I'd like to put on a new rear bumper and that'll bring with it extra weight.

A helper spring might be the way to go to bring up the rear a bit, any recommendations on where to get one and if it's a JY pull any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks!

Are you familiar with the shackle relocation brackets? It really opens up some additional possibilities for the rear springs and shackles. I added an inch to my rear end recently by just cranking up my shackles. My springs are flattening out, but are so flexy that I will keep wheeling on them until they fail. I have a traction bar so have been able to prevent spring wrap so far.

If you need some shackle relocation brackets. Let me know. I have a pair that I made couple years ago and didn't finish them. Been sitting around since I don't have a XJ to put them in.

Shoot me a PM with any pics and price. I'd be interested in seeing your design. Thanks!

Back