• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.3L Vortec V8 Conversion

3 vs. 4.......Hmmm, I'll have to think about that. Sounds like it could work.

I have been assured it will work, seems like the way to go. I am going to be working on this soon.

I'd rather not install another cat, I'm already running out of room.

I used this, it takes about 5 inches of length. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...l&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&searchTerm=64259959

This too, sound is awesome! http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...x=mode+matchallpartial&searchTerm=52613016100
Roars at start, then a low rumble at idle. When you get on it, it screams. I ran a 3" tail pipe too.

Thanks for the info John.

Cooked up some headers today.
IMG_3892.jpg

Applied a few coats of Flat-Black VHT Header Paint.
IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

New sparkplugs are installed and the headers are installed too...... Finally!

Too dark for pics, but the headers fit perfectly. The instructions for headers stated that no gasket is required but high temp RTV can be used. I installed a set of Fel-Pro- gaskets.

I'll start work on the rest of the exhaust after I find a shop that can mandrel bend some exhaust pipe for a reasonable price.

I wish I could do this. This is the ONE mod I wish I had the knowledge, tools and experience to do. This is my Dream for my XJ lol. Looking forward to reading more on your build!

Knowing the capability and potention of the LQ truck motors, especially with an LS-style intake/acc. It is definitely worth it doing. I will be doing it soon when I find something else to DD. .

craigslist $500 beater:clap:

then you can re-sell it for $500 again, or keep it and drive it in the winter so the car rusts away, saving the Jeep. (of course Jeep would serve blizzard duty, but once the salt shakers come out the car would be the sacraficial lamb again):looney:

In regards to the rear O2 sensors... they are there to check for cat efficiency and do little to nothing in regards to the actual fueling. That is the case with the LS2 in the Vette and GTO anyway. *shrug*

New sparkplugs are installed and the headers are installed too...... Finally!

Too dark for pics, but the headers fit perfectly. The instructions for headers stated that no gasket is required but high temp RTV can be used. I installed a set of Fel-Pro- gaskets.

I'll start work on the rest of the exhaust after I find a shop that can mandrel bend some exhaust pipe for a reasonable price.

2000 miles and I already blew out my Hooker Header gaskets on one side :(

Here is a couple of my tail pipe as promised. I am a fan of having the exhaust go all the way out.

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

In regards to the rear O2 sensors... they are there to check for cat efficiency and do little to nothing in regards to the actual fueling. That is the case with the LS2 in the Vette and GTO anyway. *shrug*

You are correct, the down stream o2 sensors are merely for cat efficiency they do nothing for fuel economy or drive ability. All they do is tell the computer that the cat is working or not working....

So that's where you've been the last couple days... nicely done. Can't wait to se it with the nose piece installed. Looking at this and at what Chili did to his, I kinda wish I wouldn't have spent so much $ and time keeping it all under the stock hood. Oh, well, next time ;-)

I added a small touch to mine this weekend...

IMG00011.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

I'm sorry that updates have been few and far between, but I've been busy with some other projects that are paying for this swap. Once I'm caught up I'll be able to make some more progress.

Finally decided on a shifter. I looked at the Lokar and Art Carr. I recently drove a TJ with a Lokar shifter and honestly I didn't like it at all.

Although the Art Carr is popular among the buddy crowd, I simply couldn't justify the cost...and they are fugly as well.

So opted for a shifter and cable from an 04 Blazer for under $40. Should be here in a few days. Gotta love Ebay!
shifter.jpg

Well it turns out the ebay seller didn't know the difference between a Honda shifter and a GM floor shifter. No worries, he figured it out before shipping and I got my money back. Looking at few shifter options now.

Picked up some exhaust pipe today and should have pics of the new piping in a few days, weather and work permitting of course.

Decided to quit trying to re-invent the wheel and ordered a JB Conversions short shaft/SYE for an NP231C. This will allow me to keep the reluctor ring in the output of the t-case. It should be here in 5-7 business days.

Hopefully the PCM will be shipped out and returned in the next 7 to 10 days as well.

If yo want OEM shifter, maybe go for a Trailblazer/Envoy shifter?

Yes but the local yards only sell the pure Platinum variety and the u-pull yards don't have any worth paying for. So I found a Camaro shifter, cable, bexel, and knob. Hopefully they'll be here soon and I can get 'em installed.

I lucked out, got the pure Platinum version for 45 bucks!

Back