• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.10 axles??

drcomanche

NAXJA Forum User
I have a set of 1979 Ford half ton axles under my comanche and was wondering if there were any axles that might fit better for a comanche that have a 5.10 ratio to them, or if regular axles can be modified to a 5.10 axle?

I was just going by what the guy had told me they were. I only got it a few days ago so I haven't really had a chance to check it out. Thanks for the info though.

Its actually a D44. I'll have to get the specifics, but it has a modified gearset. And the tire size is 36. Here's a pic.

DSC_7940.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that. Believe me, it will get done right. But for the time, Im thinking about just removing them altogether and loosing the ylink.

What you need first appears to be an adjustable trac bar to get your axle centered first. As for the brackets if they were put on correctly (and judging by the truss over the diff I'd say they weren't) then it doesn't matter if they were removed from the 30 or brand new brackets.

Yeah, I've done some careful considering and research and got a custom trackbar made to fit it, I resized my steering linkage, and I'm keeping the long arms. I'll post a pic as soon as it's installed.

Its actually a D44. I'll have to get the specifics, but it has a modified gearset. And the tire size is 36. Here's a pic.

DSC_7940.jpg

Yikes...

Let's see...

It's a four link with the upper links on two different plains.

The junk passenger side UCA bracket was re-used.

It appears that it may be using the cast drivers side UCA bracket lopped off of a D30 then adhered to the "truss."

I'd venture to guess the junk LCA brackets were also reused.

The "truss" doesn't appear to have structural value.

You got a bit of work to do. :cheers:

Yeah... I know that. I think, when I get some expendable income, I'll just purchase a t&t truss with all the bits and bobs I need already on it, and weld that on instead.

This project started its life as a Michigan Technical Institute project, I found out. A bunch of students built it. And in that regard, they didn't do a half bad job, but what they did mess up is going to cost me...

Back