• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37's on a stock dana30

aka junk......

U sure? My sources tell me a lot of the chromo shafts out there are rolling out of the same factory (e.g. Yukon, Alloy etc.). I'll have to find out what factory that is cuz I forgot, CRS! DOH!

I think Doug said it best a couple pages ago.." I'm being an Ass" or something like that

I think Doug said it best a couple pages ago.." I'm being an Ass" or something like that

i do get to be more of ass as my actual wheeling to webwheeling ratio increases, when your actually wheeling you get to see all that crap people love on the internets break ;)

only alloy shafts ive seen broken are alloy usa's.... including d44 rears broke clean at the splines and a d30 stub sheared at the outer splines... weird breaks and IMO bad forgings, there wasnt anything crazy happening when they broke, they just broke. i'll stick with rcv's or mosers or even the newer yukon stuff

the yukons used to be crap but they have since re-tooled the brand image a bit, the alloys in the waggy were yukons and they held up to a stroker and 37's without a peep... well until the 5 year old ring and pinion went but that was more my fault at the setup than anything.

with all that being said the shafts i chose to spend the bucks on for sams jeep are the rcv's theyre the best value in axleshafts right now if youve got the coin to spend all at once

FWIW trent mcgee runs a d30 in this and keeps it together ok, its all aftermarket everything though, no stock..... i'll try it on my buggy if you guys help buy me tires.
131_1011_15_o+131_1011_daystar_1997_jeep_wrangler_tj_buggy+passenger_side_rear_shot.jpg

Last edited:
I've broken both Discovery Series Superiors in my rear D44 but the Evolution Series has held up so far. I also twisted the splines on a set of Alloy USA D30 shafts.

.... i'll try it on my buggy if you guys help buy me tires.

I'll make you a deal, I'll buy you two for your buggy if you buy me two for mine. U wanted 31's right? I'll need 40's. Fair trade I think! :dunno:

OK now I'm the ASSk me no more questions.........

I've seen weird Alloy USA breaks too on a HP HD D44 snap without doing anything too. RCV great stuff but expensive......again all depends............ :gee:

I'll make you a deal, I'll buy you two for your buggy if you buy me two for mine. U wanted 31's right? I'll need 40's. Fair trade I think! :dunno:

OK now I'm the ASSk me no more questions.........

I've seen weird Alloy USA breaks too on a HP HD D44 snap without doing anything too. RCV great stuff but expensive......again all depends............ :gee:

Hear me out on the rcv stuff..... A set of alloy USA 30 shafts are 650 plus let's say 150 a piece for bobby long 300m joints. That's 950 total for the kind of durability we want. The rcv d30 shafts retail for 985 and the cv joints are much more street friendly than the bearingless superjoints. So for one less sit down dinner out you can grab a full set of rcvs instead of a axleset that's less street worthy and not as strong..... So for what we wanted the rcvs just made sense

Hear me out on the rcv stuff..... A set of alloy USA 30 shafts are 650 plus let's say 150 a piece for bobby long 300m joints. That's 950 total for the kind of durability we want. The rcv d30 shafts retail for 985 and the cv joints are much more street friendly than the bearingless superjoints. So for one less sit down dinner out you can grab a full set of rcvs instead of a axleset that's less street worthy and not as strong..... So for what we wanted the rcvs just made sense

True! Good points! :peace:

Has any one broken an RCV?

What's is configuration? open/open, open/locked, locked/locked etc...

open stock, just like the op asked, apologizes for not emphasizing.

Has any one broken an RCV?

tim cameron and those aetna buggy idiots break them..... rcv used to have an unlimited you break it we fix it warranty but now you only get 6 because those guys break 3 or 4 a trip... but tc's last buggy that broke one (stripped the inner shaft that splines into the cv bell) was running 44 boggers with a motown 454 small block :smoker: theres not a lot that guy cant break, he did shear a rockwell knuckle off on cable hill.....

i dont think us commoners will break 6 rcv shafts, tim and tyler have had fantastic luck with theirs and RCV has stellar customer service from what i hear.

Mark, Bill D from OffCamber had some issues with one of his in the WEROCK TJ. They replaced it because they had a new version of it and his was old...don't remember details more than that besides they took care of him.

As far as the Alloy shafts go... I sheered an outer shaft right at the splines and I wasn't aware till I sold the axle to ED but the inner splines were twisted. All that on a 35's, 4.56s and worn out 4.0.

Change of plans for me...

I came across a (almost complete) Rubicon Front D44 and picked it up this past weekend for a really good price, so I'm not going to run the 37's on the HPD30 any longer...even though, with 'quality' gears, I think it is capable.. I just couldn't pass up the Rubicon axle upgrade.

I also picked up a 33-spline Ox locker for the D44 rear, will be getting some 33-spline Chromos soon.

The Alloy products are junk... we'll never use Alloy again.

Trussed, HPD30 with ARB and choice of gear ratio to be available soon...(to fund RCVs in the new front axle...)

Wtf? Out grow your paid up screen name?

Haha no that's my dad. He's the one with the tj

sent using my 4g, fast as hell, Verizon phone

Rubicon fronts are low pinions...

FYI: Ujoints are also the same size as newer D30s.

FYI: Ujoints are also the same size as later model D30s.

all 44s have 760s.... so yes a 44 has the same size joint as a 30...

thats why you run rcvs! :thumbup:

Back