• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link 4 link Potato potaaahto semantics?

CRASH said:
Pantsuit girl tested it for me. She'd never experienced a link that large.

CRASH

Is that new mono arm going to be a strap on also? :D

Man this really needs to be in another forum!

hinkley

Drop brackets are the only way to go with a Mono-link.

Mrs. Crash TIGed it right to the NV4500 case.

CRASH

What if I use Glue?

Not for affixing said links, but for sniffing to get all these new ideas....

I understand each system and how they work and why they're used, but it was the semantics of the names...I was just curious why Clayton called his a 3 link etc...

"Damn, looks liek I picked the worng week to stop sniffing glue...."

I never considered the trac-bar a link, but I can deal w/ that I suppose. :cheers:

The only thing I would call a 3-link is the rear of a WJ w/ the A-arm setup. It does attach to only 3 places on the axle. :dunno:

Here's a True three link by everyone's definition I'd say...$afari Gards setup for the Rangies and Discos....

Two Arms that link the frame to the axle, then a Third from the Crossmember on the frame that goes to the new X member on the Axle to control pinion angle...

Yes?

3link1.jpg

the center link...

3link11.jpg

the center link and the Pass Side locating arm...

3link2.jpg

front axle with cradle/x-member with Pass Side arm...

3link3.jpg

...same as last one but Driver's side...also see the pipe running on the you use to run the ARB Air line ;)

3link8.jpg

view from front of the radius arm curling upon the front of the axle

3link6.jpg

front X member/cradle with tie rod running thru for protection (the Rovers have the steering rod behind the axle...)

3link7.jpg

just another view

This makes sense to me as a three link and also shows why my Clayton setup is a 2 link.

Last edited:
Does this mean if I drive wearing a fake Rolex with metal twist-o-flex watchband purchased in Ensenada I have 36 links, and I have the coolest ride on the planet, or do I have a stock 4 link with track bar and a cheap watch?

BTW, Linc was the name of a guy on Mod Squad (He was way cool)!

Ed A. Stevens said:
Does this mean if I drive wearing a fake Rolex with metal twist-o-flex watchband purchased in Ensenada I have 36 links, and I have the coolest ride on the planet, or do I have a stock 4 link with track bar and a cheap watch?

BTW, Linc was the name of a guy on Mod Squad (He was way cool)!

It means you are the missing link.

CRASH

This is also 3 lynx:
lynx.jpg

lynxib01.jpg

iberian%20lynx%201.jpg

Unless the images don't come through, then we would have some missing lynx. Or maybe just some missing links to lynx.

Last edited:
Oh my.....Greg is learning the way of the Jedi shiit talker.

Must be spending time in the Den.

CRASH

Hey, if you use chains for limiting straps, can you count those links too?

I think I'm swapping my straps over this weekend. I figure if I use 5/16" chain I could get a 104 link system. That's including the panhard ofcourse, since I always count it.

C-ROK said:
Hey, if you use chains for limiting straps, can you count those links too?

I think I'm swapping my straps over this weekend. I figure if I use 5/16" chain I could get a 104 link system. That's including the panhard ofcourse, since I always count it.

Speaking of chains...I'm naked....again

Panhard bars (track bars) are not considered links because they do nothing to control the geometry in the the side view plane. They only control side to side motion (if "properly" designed) and have nothing to do with the anti's or roll and instant centers.

So, D90, G-wagen, early Bronco etc. are two link (i.e. radius arms) plus Panhard, XJ front is 4 link plus Panhard, etc.

HTH

r@m

Root Moose said:
Panhard bars (track bars) are not considered links because they do nothing to control the geometry in the the side view plane. They only control side to side motion (if "properly" designed) and have nothing to do with the anti's or roll and instant centers.

That's not all exactly true. The track bar does indeed contribute to the location of the roll center. Where the track bar crosses the centerline of the vehicle determines the virtual intersection point for the roll axis in the horizontal (side view) plane.
Track bar suspension designs often lends themselves to lower roll centers when compared to "traditional" wishbone and four link designs.
The track bar system also maintains approximately the same "dynamic" roll axis. That is to say that the roll center is less affected by body roll than with other link system designs.

Why they are or are not considered in the link count, I don't know.

TOZOVR said:
Here's a True three link by everyone's definition I'd say...$afari Gards setup for the Rangies and Discos....

Two Arms that link the frame to the axle, then a Third from the Crossmember on the frame that goes to the new X member on the Axle to control pinion angle...

Yes?

This makes sense to me as a three link and also shows why my Clayton setup is a 2 link.

That is so :rainbow:, what's up with Rover owners?

-jb

Back