• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3/4 ton diesel, which to buy?

no urea injection on the dodge, yet another advantage. you can only get a hemi or a diesel in the 3/4-1 tons. wouldnt get a hemi if you tow all the time since they will get 10 mpg pulling a heavy load. and you can only get real lockers in the power wagon which is not offered with a diesel, the limited slip is usually standard for the most part in the rear with a diesel.

alight i wasnt sure if you cood get the cummins with lockers. still my personal choice would be with the cummins. it does with 6 what the dirties and powerchokes try to do with 8

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it wasnt for fords, our tools would rust!!
I'm a gm guy but when it comes to the new trucks if your looking for power and durability i would get the cummins (only in a manual). if you were going for a great ride nice interior and an automatic i would go duramax. and if all else fails i would go powerstroke (if you went used i would keep in mind 1990-97)

I can tell you just by reading that some of these posts are not based off experience.
Base your $50k purchase on your opinions. let the facts do the rest of the speaking.

I keep seeing people say no urea injection on the dodge however the 5500 cummins we have at work does have it!

Every review that I have read says that the Dodge has the weakest transmission and it feels like it has to labor to shift under loaded conditions.
Wait ... a Chrysler product with a poor transmission. Oh wait ... nothing new to see here.

You are correct sir. the 4500 and 5500 do have urea injection but the 3500 and below do not. i think it has something to do with being california low emissions idle certification thingy.

We have California emissions here in the People's Republic of New York. I don't recall seeing the urea tanks on the 1 ton dodges, but I've seen them on a handful of 4500 chassis cabs

Gotcha Figured if it was on the 5500 it would be on the 3500 as well thats odd...

Any news on which direction you are going?

it will be the dodge.
i looked at one today.
they said it was flame red, but it was 2 tone, red w/ silver on the bottom.
i am not crazy about the color. i would prefer a metallic red instead.
it was equipped the way i want it though.

so i ordered a new truck today, should be here next week.
2012 dodge cummins, 4x4, 6 speed auto, crew cab, laramie, leather, bucket seats, in deep cherry red. it should be able to haul my red xj on tons & 42's with no sweat.

You won't be dissapointed at all. My 2011 ram is a work horse. Only had it a year so far put have put 50k on it. I'm not easy on it in any way. That trailer empty is almost 6k and when loaded averages 13k and it will run 80mph all day
ad48bd63-47b1-1910.jpg

xoom xoom xoom

We have a Cummins that we use as a general haul rig. Can't beat the thing. I've hit the on ramp headed to elk camp with with a four horse trailer loaded to the gills with animals and tack and the truck pulls like there is no load at all. I'd take it over the Ford Power Stroke we used to own anyday. Personally I can't judge the Chevy but the friends I have that own them seem to like the Isuzu diesel.

got home from KOH last night at 1:30 so we were able to pick up my new truck today.
2012 dodge ram 2500 cummins, 6 sp. auto, laramie, leather, buckets, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc. etc. i think i am going to really enjoy my new truck! :clap:
they had to bring it in from pahrump, nevada since i had to have the deep cherry red color & that was the closest one the dealer could find with the options i wanted.
2-12-12.jpg

100_1679_edited-1.jpg

100_1677_edited-1.jpg

Beautiful truck!

When you get sick of 13 mpg, give H&S a call.

I have a 08 QCSB, H&S Mini Max, 4"TBE, CIA, EGR disabled. I get the same mileage I got with my 01 now! Oh, and it sounds and SMELLS like a dizzle again!

Congrads!

Back