• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.07 gears and 31's

red91

NAXJA Forum User
have 3 inches of lift and have gotten a set of 31's. For those of you who have the same setup hows it gonna do gear / rpm wise ??

It Sucks,

Get the 4 banger axle or get new gears put in. I am about 1 month away from new gears and it has been about 8-9 months with 3.07's and 31's.
If I knew what it was going to be like I would of saved up more money and got the new gears or axle BEFORE I did the lift..........

Alex

I had 3.07 gears with 33" tires on my 4.0L 91' wrangler and it sucked big time, but at least with the manual tranny it is a little more tolerable.

I've had it for way too long, since I keep procrastinating about putting in the 4.56. Say goodbye to 5th. Don't be afraid of the gas for getting off the line.

If you are smart about it, and try to drive about 2450 rpms and don't shy away when you are on the expressway going 3000, you can still achieve 16 mpg.

I'm starting to wonder if my XJ doesen't have 3.07s ('4.0L 5 speed so it should?). I don't think it's that bad. Sure it's not as fast as on stock tires but, its just not that bad.

88greenxj said:
are you planning on ever going to bigger tires like 33s cause if you do you should go with 4.11

NO. 31'S Will be the limit for me( something tells me I might do something later i.e. years) Don't do any hardcore off road, just some fun with my little guy at home. (2yrs old)

But that don't mean I wanna pavement princess rig either !!

3.55's and 31's would be fine with a 5-speed, almost ideal for a daily driver. It's VERY cheap to swap too. You can find a Dana 30 with 3.55's and a Chrysler 8.25 with 3.55's for $100-$200 each, then sell your old axles for about half that.

Stock gears for the auto were 3.55; if you were closer I'd sell you my old 8.25 w/that ratio.

I'm running 32's with 3.07's and lemme tell you, it stinks but it's not unlivable. I don't use 5th gear anymore on the highway unless i'm going downhill. It's tolerable, but you'll be adding to the "regearing" fund quickly to end the anguish of big tires and tall gears. :)

Yucca-Man said:
Stock gears for the auto were 3.55; if you were closer I'd sell you my old 8.25 w/that ratio.

Well thanks much. Although I happen to be in a fairly good position to get what ever I need. I'm a buyer for a wrecking yard in Oregon. I just wish a Dana 44 would walk on by. But my eye's are open.

In your humble opinion, if a 44 doesn't come my way soon (6mnths) would you go with a 8.25 or a D35 ?

Don't even consider the 35. Get a 44 or an 8.25 (preferably out of a 97 or newer).

Order of strength (most to least):
Dana 44
Chrysler 8.25 (97+, pretty close in strength to D44)
Chrysler 8.25 (pre 97)
Dana 35

Last edited:
xj92 said:
Don't even consider the 35. Get a 44 or an 8.25 (preferably out of a 97 or newer).

Dana 44
Chrysler 8.25 (pre 97)
Tinkertoys
Dana 35
Fixed it for ya...Add an 8.8 as an option somewhere between D44 and 29-spline 8.25 as well - I know the wrecking yard has those, probably even with disks and 4.10s...

xj92 said:

Dana 44
Chrysler 8.25 (pre 97)
Dana 35

Just hooked up with an 01 chrys 8.25. Now the question is, is will my driveshaft mount right up ? ? Also... friction modifier or no?

Last edited:
red91inWA said:
Ok guys. Now if I go to 3.54 gears that should be a workable deal right?
Barely.

Here's my experience: Bought an '88 MJ with 5-speed and 3.07 gears. It had tiny stock tires when I bought it, but a 4" lift. My brother gave me a set of cast-off 31s, so I put 'em on. It was horrible.

I had already purchased 3.73 gears for my '88 XJ, selected to match up with 30" tires. They weren't in the XJ yet, so I put them in the MJ. What I found is that 31x10.50-15 tires with 3.73 gears works out to exactly the same speed-to-RPM relationship as stock 225/75R15 tires with 3.54 gears.

In other words, running the 3.54 gears will be better than 3.07s, but it won't get you even back to the same overall final drive ratio as your stock tires and gears. You really should be running 4.10s with 31s. As I said, I used the 3.73s with 31s because I had them, but it's not what I would have chosen from the outset. It's okay on the street, but when wheeling I frequently wish for more gear.

Back