• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd-4wd brakes

discosteve

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95 2wd 2dr xj. im swapping the dtrain with my 94 4dr 4wd.

the 95 has abs. the 94 doesnt.

what all do i need to make the abs work on the 4wd axle? swap the knucles and buy 4wd hubs with abs?

thanks

'Not exactly sure what year the switched from spindles/conventional bearings to unit bearings on the 2wd models, but if your 2wd has unit bearing hubs, you'll need the brake sensors off the 2wd beam, and you'll need to get a pair of outer axle shafts with tone rings on them. You might be able to press the tone rings from the 2wd stub shafts off and install them on the outer axle shafts that came with your front axle. One major "if": 95 was a change-over year. They went to front axle shafts with 297X u-joints. ALL 4wd and anti-lock brakes(regardless of year) came with 297X size U-joints. Odds are your '94 axle has 260X U-joints. You may have to get new inner axles to match your outer axles if you can't just press the tone rings onto the existing outer shafts.

Last edited:
Back