• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2JZGTE swap this summer...

@bpas: Not exactly, but if you have any specific questions and I have a specific answer, I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

If for whatever reason someone reading this isn't able to contact me through this forum, you should be able to reach me through www.fringexvo.com.

Okay, so I was able to find two hours to mess with the Jeep. Plus it's getting cold. I find low temperatures have the ability to affect my list of priorities.

So here's the skinny at this point:
1. Fired her up and she's idling good, but there was a miss fire. I pulled the plugs and found them black and sooty. They were new, so I used a stainless wire brush and cleaned then re-installed them. Misfire went away. Put more coolant and transmission fluid in her, then slowly drove her around the apartment complex. Never went over 15mph or over 3k rpm. She never shifted. Boost gauge never moved. Turbo spinning and whirring sounded AWESOME. Misfire redeveloped. Parked her.
2. Fans do not seem to be coming on. I will double check the wiring and if that's ok, just wire the trigger wire for the relay into the "run" circuit.
3. Still need to address the "no charge" condition from the alt. Gonna start by making sure the battery is charged, then drive her to the local O'Reilly's and have them make sure it is me and not the alternator itself.

I've double checked the ignition at each cylinder by unplugging the coil over each cylinder, and I suspect but am not 100% sure about cylinder #2.
I used an extension to verify that each injector was firing in the proper uniform manner, and they all sounded fine. I also added sea foam to both fuel and engine oil.

I'm hoping that it's just the computer running too rich and fouling the plugs. Hopefully just driving her down the toll road for 20 minutes will start to affect things positively. Between the open down pipe exhaust, huge intercooler, weird exhaust manifold and evo8 turbo, I can imagine the computer is halfway confused by the signals it's receiving.

I would imagine so. Most likely it's not coming out of closed loop mode, and needs some time to adjust.

If the plugs are sooting up to the point they foul, the engine is rather massively rich. Can you break into the ECM and program it? If so, look at the bottom of the tables. Also, most factory ECMs have a section on startup delays. Delays in mixture controls based upon ECT among other varibles.

I drove her in some circles and she definitely is not shifting. I also suspect that there is no boost being made, which may or may not be contributing to a rich fuel condition. I will get the fans operational, then manually shift her through the gears and take her down the street and back. I suspect a vss issue with the shifting...a wastegate issue with the no boost...which is ultimately me being a retard most likely. We'll see what happens as the week goes on.

Sorry for more delay...I know I know I know. I still need to wire the fans to run on ignition power...but I've been super busy. For those of you that were interested, Fringe XVO finally had it's first GTR photo shoot with our "Afterburner" exhaust tips this past Sunday at a hangar in San Marcos. Check it out.

RollingRigGTRwithSentinelSteelTips.jpg

388323_156677624432283_117167448383301_183307_243300747_n.jpg

374214_156677481098964_117167448383301_183304_929593012_n.jpg

381121_156677357765643_117167448383301_183303_49119537_n.jpg

379481_156677521098960_117167448383301_183306_414879515_n.jpg

aughhhhhh Godzilla is so sexy

Your rich condition and your fans not coming on may be cause by the computer not getting a temperature signal for the engine. I don't mean to insult; but remember that there are probably two temperature sensors. One for the computer and one for the gauge.
If you have them switched or for some reason the ecm isn't receiving a signal it's going to keep dumping in cold and warm-up stage amounts of fuel and wont ever kick on the fans. Just something you may want to check.

being a long time supra guy (have owned 4 of them) I love this build. Way to go. Have debated on throwing my spare turbo supra engine into the jeep...but decided to keep the 4.0 and maybe supercharge it, just to broaden my vehicle/engine building spectrum.

Back