• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2007 FJ Cruiser

rock rash

NAXJA Forum User
Went to my buddies shop today, and was able to take the new FJ Cruiser for a test drive. Rode fairly smooth, couldn't see anything out of the rear because of the pillars and spare tire. Has some lights on the side mirror. The dash is pretty cool though. Here are some pics...

s33ert.jpg

s33okm.jpg

s33oqo.jpg

s33oz6.jpg

s33pf5.jpg

s33pxi.jpg

Sorry about the pictures, they are from my phone...

Where's the pics of the undercarriage? How is this thing set up?

couldt get any pics, they guy had to take it back after a minute or so. Independent front, solid rear with coils. Smooth, but no good for offroad. Curious to see what it would look like with 33s or 35s.

A solid rear axle using a four-link coil-spring suspension system with a lateral rod, tubular shock absorbers and an anti-sway bar

It's got some things going for it:

3.909 gear ratio

278 lb/ft of torque

Center Locker

Rear Locker

Available black steel wheels

And as car and Driver put it: "...a clutch-interlock defeat that enabled starter crawling over the sort of slab-faced boulders that would trip a donkey."

9.6 inches of clearence

If this were a Jeep, we'd be heralding the return of the company we used to love. It is kinda ugly, though.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
It's got some things going for it:

If this were a Jeep, we'd be heralding the return of the company we used to love. It is kinda ugly, though.

-----Matt-----
So....if you could get a Liberty with a locker...what would be the difference? Last time I checked every jeep made still had a real 4wd (execpt for the new Compass but thats a differnt story).

Sorry I don't see anything that makes this so special.

DrMoab said:
So....if you could get a Liberty with a locker...
...it would imply that the vehicle is intended to be taken off-road. I'm just saying that it shows a commitment from Toyota to off-roaders, a commitment Jeep seems to be losing. Example: I can't wait to see the Jeep Compass Rubicon and the Jeep Patriot Renegade, FWD Dodge Neon platforms and all!

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
...it would imply that the vehicle is intended to be taken off-road. I'm just saying that it shows a commitment from Toyota to off-roaders, a commitment Jeep seems to be losing. Example: I can't wait to see the Jeep Compass Rubicon and the Jeep Patriot Renegade, FWD Dodge Neon platforms and all!

-----Matt-----
Jeep still has the Rubicon....which still has a front axle. Toyota didn't build that one with a front axle so...I guess they aren't "Quite" as committed to off-roaders as Jeep is.

Jeep and Dodge are the only company who offerers front and rear lockers in one of their vehicles.(Power Wagon being the other).

My point is I guess that whenever jeep comes out with a newer vehicle that is less capable then what they had before everyone screams that they don't care about the off-road group. I have to call BS. because there is still the Rubicon which to this day has no equal as far as stock capability goes.

DrMoab said:
Jeep and Dodge are the only company who offerers front and rear lockers in one of their vehicles.(Power Wagon being the other).
Not to pick nits, because it really doesn't matter, BUT Chevrolet (i.e. GM) offers a rear locking diff in ALL of their trucks and SUVs from the TrailBlazer to the Suburban and everything in between. Eaton builds it for them. Toyota also offers a locker on the Tacoma with the TRD package. Anyway, I agree that Jeep is still the most committed company to off-roaders...I just hope the Compass/Patriot don't foreshadow the way things are to be in the future.

-----Matt-----

DrMoab said:
Jeep still has the Rubicon....which still has a front axle. Toyota didn't build that one with a front axle so...I guess they aren't "Quite" as committed to off-roaders as Jeep is.

My point is I guess that whenever jeep comes out with a newer vehicle that is less capable then what they had before everyone screams that they don't care about the off-road group. I have to call BS. because there is still the Rubicon which to this day has no equal as far as stock capability goes.

The H1 Alpha still has front and rear lockers to go along with that mile wide stance.

IXNAYXJ said:
Not to pick nits, because it really doesn't matter, BUT Chevrolet (i.e. GM) offers a rear locking diff in ALL of their trucks and SUVs from the TrailBlazer to the Suburban and everything in between. Eaton builds it for them. Toyota also offers a locker on the Tacoma with the TRD package. Anyway, I agree that Jeep is still the most committed company to off-roaders...I just hope the Compass/Patriot don't foreshadow the way things are to be in the future.

-----Matt-----
There are a few who offer rear lockers. But Jeep (and I guess H1s) are the only ones who offer it in the front. Standard.

I wonder if the rest of the world will still be able to get real land cruisers like they have been since Toyota stopped selling them here. The last time I checked the Toyota Australia site they were still selling them there.

Bradlybob said:
I wonder if the rest of the world will still be able to get real land cruisers like they have been since Toyota stopped selling them here. The last time I checked the Toyota Australia site they were still selling them there.
Yes, you can still get a REAL L.C. abroad. http://lc78.toyota.com.au/toyota/vehicle/HomePage/0,4666,1961_702,00.html I'd love to get one of those over here. The new FJ is actually based on the Australian Toyota Prado, a mid-sized Mini-LandCruiser.

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
DrMoab said:
There are a few who offer rear lockers. But Jeep (and I guess H1s) are the only ones who offer it in the front. Standard.
IIRC the top Lexus SUV comes with front and rear. and I'm thinking the VW Turegg (sp?) too.

Back