• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 trans help needed

greaslife

NAXJA Forum User
i have an auto trans in my 90 that wont shift until 3 grand or above and wont even go into 4 th . as soon as you let it drop below 3 grand it drops down a gear. i tried puling trans fuse at the fuse panel the 7.5 amp . and drove it trying to shift it manually no change . i have checked the fluid and all is good. the guy i bought it from said he had the solenoids replace i did find the receipt for that . Am at a loss. dam thing shut off on me test driving yesterday the usual cranks and wont start lol.

I'm not 100% sure that the 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse block is the one you want.

The TCU is on the passenger's side, under the dash, and it has it's own in-line fuse. Try unplugging the TCU or pulling the in-line fuse and try shifting manually again.

Crank and not start, need to determine the missing element(s).

Does it have spark?

If it has spark, try spraying ether (starting fluid) into the intake while cranking and see if it will fire off.

Also, try unplugging and plugging the CPS/CKP (crank) sensor a few times.

I'm not 100% sure that the 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse block is the one you want...

FYI to the OP

The 7.5 amp fuse controls the Power/Comfort switch and the reverse lights. I believe that's all it does.

<side note> joe_peters - I sent you a PM (actually 2) on a different matter...is your PM disabled? or is mine?

FYI to the OP

The 7.5 amp fuse controls the Power/Comfort switch and the reverse lights. I believe that's all it does.

<side note> joe_peters - I sent you a PM (actually 2) on a different matter...is your PM disabled? or is mine?

SIDENOTE for ParadiseXJ:

Didn't get a PM, but found a couple visitor posts from you. I posted some info, but I will also try and PM it to you.

NAXJA says you are choosing not to receive PMs or are not allowed to.

Check your UserCP, I will post a visitor message there.

Last edited:

I'd have to look again, but I think it also provides power to the brake pedal switch meaning if that fuse it blown you won;t get OD. In any case, it is the inline fuse near the TCU or the TCU connector itself that needs unplugged to shift manually.

My guess on this would be a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) for the shifting issue, and possible the Crank Position Sensor for the cutting out.

ok found my no start . the cps was split in two literally looks like it exploded . has any one had that happen to them the thing is only a month old. i may have found my shifting problem . there is a black box 1.5 x 1.5 with about 6 wires going to it on the front of the throttle body . there are 2 tamper proof screws holding it on . one of the screws is broken alowing it to move up and down. is this box the throttle position sensor?

Yes. Those are torx screws, not really tamper-proof.

ok found my no start . the cps was split in two literally looks like it exploded . has any one had that happen to them the thing is only a month old. i may have found my shifting problem . there is a black box 1.5 x 1.5 with about 6 wires going to it on the front of the throttle body . there are 2 tamper proof screws holding it on . one of the screws is broken alowing it to move up and down. is this box the throttle position sensor?

Find a screw that will fit or get one from pull a part then search google for adjusting renix TPS. After adjusted it should shift well enough. Keep us posted.

well i tried to adjust the tps but was not able too . iam thinking its bad. it has 4.62 volts input and .896 volts out put . according to the link you divide output by input to get your base number and adjust from their . i than tried to adjust the tps to get a close reading . was not able too. so off to pick a part too day . tested the trans buy pulling the 10 amp in-line fuse and iam glad there is nothing mechanical wrong with that .

Make sure the screws on either side of your lower dash panel, where the TCM mounts, are screwed into the dash support. I think the TCM grounds through the metal support. If I remember right I had a weird trans issue a few years back that was caused by that.

Back