• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985, 2.5L, dash gauge Temp sensor location

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I am looking for the wire color and general location, and terminal end type connector for the 2.5 L engine in the 1985 Cherokee Pioneer, engine coolant temperature sensor that feeds the Dash gauge????

This is for My Nissan diesel 85 Jeep. The PO's temp sensor bulb & capillary set up died and I am working on installing the 85 Jeep gauge sensor into the Nissan coolant thermosat area for connection to the original Jeep dash gauge. I just can't find the wire they used on the 85 year 2.5 L engine. I do not see one like what we used for 4.0 engines since 87 in the proper area, but the temp sensor itself seems to be the same part as used in 87-90.... the one that goes in the read of the engine head to be exact.

i can help you,but what the hell are you talking about?is youre motor a nissan diesel ?and you want to use a jeep temp sending unit?the sensor is on the front drivers side of the motor,it is screwed into the block,it is about 6 inches or so to the right of the t stat, and has a 2 wire connector,like a 2 prong electrical plug.dont know the wire colors,some jack balls painted the motor.hope this helps

just saw youre signature, now i see what youre talking about! try what i said, if no luck, got the fsm, will help you out! sorry for being a jerk

85xjproject said:
i can help you,but what the hell are you talking about?is youre motor a nissan diesel ?and you want to use a jeep temp sending unit?the sensor is on the front drivers side of the motor,it is screwed into the block,it is about 6 inches or so to the right of the t stat, and has a 2 wire connector,like a 2 prong electrical plug.dont know the wire colors,some jack balls painted the motor.hope this helps

The two prong one should be for tripping an electric radiator fan, it should be a temperature switch, not a gauge sensor. I take it yours is carburated, and or does not have a fuel injection computer and thus does not have an ECU temperature coolant sensor (CTS) like the 87 and later models. The 87 models have three coolant temperature devises, one is a 2 wire E-fan switch, then the CTS is a 2 wire sensor, then on the back of the engine head is a one wire gauge sensor. I am looking for the one wire gauge sensor and specifically the wire it uses.

I have about 6 or more unused connectors under the hood on this jeep and so far non of them look like what I am looking for. The Parts store pulled up the same one wire sensor for 85 as I use in my 87-89 Renix 4.0's, but I suspect I am missing part of the old wiring harness under the hood. I do have a roughly 6 to 8 pin flat push connector near the firewall, on the passenger side that has a single wire plugged into to it that runs the AC clutch on my Nissan AC. The male flat conector and its terminations is gone, and I suspect it is one of the pin outs in that connector that runs to the gauge????

The prior owner (PO) did the original Diesel swapped but left a lot of stuff to still be tidied up, fixed, or done properly, so I bought it as a project 5 years ago. Still having some fun figuring out what is what. I replaced the water pump and intake and exhaust manifold gaskets and repaired the E-manifold outlet bolts (they busted) last week and in the process must have damaged the working aftermarket bulb and capillary Engine temp sensor-capillary-gauge set up, so since I have a good Jeep dash gauge and thought I would install the Jeep sensor (new one) in the Nissan coolant port and use the Jeep gauge. Just need to find the right wire laying around the hood now.

Thanks for the help!

Ecomike, wire you're looking for according to the '84 FSM should be a violet one (actually looks more like tan on mine) terminated with a black female bullet connector. Should be around the same place as in the 4.0s. I don't know what the PO did on yours, but that flat connector you mention normally goes to the tranny for reverse and upshift light switches (manual or the NSS (autos). Temp sensor wire comes straight from the firewall connector to the sensor, so unless it's been snipped there it should still be around.

Here's a picture of where it exits the firewall connector, should be of help to trace it:

Well I checked and tested the usual suspects, but alas no joy. Found 2 likely candiates, but neither worked. Still searching.

Back