• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1983 coleman Pop up tent trailer

This thing is awesome. It can handle a clown cars worth of kids.

GLWS

Have you thought about keeping it and renting it out to friends when you're not using it? Probably end up with more than $600 in the long run...... I ask because I would buy it but have no space to keep it.

Good point,

What would the hourly rate be?

FWIW, I've dragged my 2001 Coleman Santa Fe (same size, maybe a big bigger,) from Chicago to Moab 3 times, twice with a 3" lift, once with a 4.5" lift. I had no problems with the trailer. Biggest problem with towing this is brakes, you *NEED* brakes on the trailer.

I'm pretty sure that replacement tenting is still available. Sounds like this one is priced to move.

FWIW, I've dragged my 2001 Coleman Santa Fe (same size, maybe a big bigger,) from Chicago to Moab 3 times, twice with a 3" lift, once with a 4.5" lift. I had no problems with the trailer. Biggest problem with towing this is brakes, you *NEED* brakes on the trailer.

I'm pretty sure that replacement tenting is still available. Sounds like this one is priced to move.

This thing weighs a whopping 1330 lbs. It's not that heavy, though it would be nice to have breaks, the ones on my rig do a pretty good job at slowing it down. Disk brakes all around seem to hold up well.

This thing weighs a whopping 1330 lbs. It's not that heavy, though it would be nice to have breaks, the ones on my rig do a pretty good job at slowing it down. Disk brakes all around seem to hold up well.
That's quite a bit lighter than mine, by over 700 lbs. I do know that I wouldn't want to try braking mine down a 12% grade without trailer brakes behind an XJ.

That's quite a bit lighter than mine, by over 700 lbs. I do know that I wouldn't want to try braking mine down a 12% grade without trailer brakes behind an XJ.

I'm trying to think how steep a grade i have on the Cajon pass, that being said, I don't think it's 12%.

Being that it's from the 80's, i wonder if i can get trailer brakes on it.

I'll bet a cup of coffee that it's got a Dexter axle under it, and if that's the case, you should be able to get an electric brake kit pretty easily.

A little more expensive than I thought. Dexter sells complete kits for 7" brakes, but they're up around $400. You might be able to get them a little cheaper through someone like Redneck Trailer.

Back