• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 TJ issue, poor milage, overheating, burning oil

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
So i know its not an xj, but I was talking to a friend about his wrangler and he is having some issues that just dont add up to me. He says it has been that way as long as he has had it, and it does not throw a CEL, but its bothering me so ill see what you all think. From the sound of it, this thing had been given the run around at a few shops. Just about everything onthis jeep has been worked on so nothing would be out of the question.
First off, its a 2001 tj with a stroker, 3speed auto, nv231, on 33 km2's w/ 4:10's
Full exhaust, banks headers, intake, throttle body, moderate cam.
The symptoms:
Poor milage: 10mpg, highway or city. No od in the tranny but still...confirmed by gps
Over heating: on the highway pulling hills. 75mph is about 3300rpm with no OD, but the stroker in my xj will pull vail pass at 4700 rpm doing 70 all day on a stock cooling system with zero temp. change. This tj has a 3 core, new wp and thermostat. As well as four o2 sensors and a cps.
Weak power: doesn't feel like a stroker. Not even a stroker with 3.07's and 31's
Burns oil: or atleast its going somewhere. Does not smoke, but also does not leak. Kills a quart in a couple hundred miles. 15k on stroker
Soot in header: where the two downpipes come together at the collector, the front collector is soot covered while the rear collector is shiny and clean.

My first thought is the 0331 head, but apparently its been to multiple machine shops with no issue. This one has me stumped because of the quantity of parts that are new, but i guess new doesnt have to mean good. Based on these problems whats all your first impressions?
Ill pull the plugs tomorrow and do a compression check but any ideas what might be causing this would be much apprecited.

Thanks
Lightfoot

honestly sounds to me like the complete engine wasnt built correctly. possible ring issues causing the oil loss mystery/soot in collector. possible head issues for overheating or a partial blockage in a cooling passage way in the block.

Is the stroker one you did or bought? There are a couple known storker builders that have issues.

First, old school troubleshooting. Read the spark plugs, read the tail pipe, do a wet and dry compression test, do a vacuum test. Once you have all that info, you know about 95% of everything you would need to know.

Back